• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

DaveMorris1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to secure coral frags to your live rock? The only thing I have heard of is the epoxy stuff at the LFS, but I find it difficult to get it to stick to the rock in the tank. What else is there?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the duro brand. It is cheaper and gets the job done. It has the same "active ingrediant" as the "name brand" stuff. Make sure you get the gel typ as stated. It will make you life much easier.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use gel as well. put the bottom of the corals you are gluing just above teh surface with the coral submerged and add the glue then push it and hold it on the LR. I usually make tiny circles on the rock with it until it grips and then push down and hold for 15 secs. Works well.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like ranger said. Make sure to use a generous portion of glue or it will not stick. I give it a few seconds out of the water. Just until it starts to get a haze on it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, with superglue be careful when using tweezers to hold small frags to rock you don't glue the tweezer to the rock, the frag, and your fingers all in one smooth motion... :oops:

Ahh..coff...coff, I hear that can happen.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:oops: yeah that was the end of my great "oops I broke off this xenia hey I wonder if I can glue this puppy" experiment :lol:

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DaveMorris":1ifvqpri said:
What is the best way to secure coral frags to your live rock? The only thing I have heard of is the epoxy stuff at the LFS, but I find it difficult to get it to stick to the rock in the tank. What else is there?
Frag-loc! :P

Blazin__

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i always get soooo frustrated using super glue.. same with epoxy. never seems to work for me ends up either not sticking or falling off in a day or 2 , ive resorted to drilling the apropriate size hole in my LR or whatever i want to put the coral on and stuff it in the hole carefully.. and in a few days its attached, call me crazy.. but it works for me

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can afford to be patient I usually don't do anything to secure a coral. Given a little while it'll secure itself. When I -have- to do it myself, for whatever reason, I use epoxy for the hard corals and fishling line/cable ties for the softies.

I've tried using superglue gel and never really had great luck with it. Besides, xenia out of water smells like used asparagus. Keeping it under water at all times is reason enough for me to avoid superglue :D

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: