• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My live rock is curing and I'm looking to pick up some basic test kits.

Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite. Who makes the best - and more importantly WHY is it the best? Easy to read, differentiate between levels, chemicals, tablets, etc.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I'd go with Salifert as they have high quality (accurate) test kits that are fairly easy to use. They also have lots of product support, and due to lots of folks using this good product, you will have fewer problems seeking help if you need it.

cyro

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
prefer Tropic marine...

pessimist test :)
when testing nitrat t.m. says 5 ppm, salifert/others says 1..
what do you think about t. marine?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert here too.

I have heard good things about LaMotte and Hache kits as well but I believe they are more expensive.

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just placed an order for all new salifert test kits. I have been putting it off and putting it off, but could not resist after this very convincing post.

I ordered PH, ALK, CALC, TRITE, TRATE, and Magn. Yes I am missing a few, but will add those at a later date. I felt these were the most important ones. Decided against amonia all together just because it is most important during cycling, which does not apply here.

Long story short, thanks guys

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salitfert appears to be the overwhelming winner. Now, I just need to find out who sells them the cheapest! Thanks again, everyone, for your help.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elos hands down. Makes Salifert look like kiddie toys. Elos has a better resolution, easier to read scales and is NST lab standard, unlike all hobbyist grade kits. I gave away all my Salifert after getting the Elos :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to contact Elos USA direct to find the pricing out on it. It's very reasonable though.

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gresham, I can't seem to find an internet dealer that sells Elos. Is it a fairly new product here in the US?

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just spoke with Elos. you can direct order from them. They seem fairly pricey though - $5-6 more than salifert. Granted, this is direct order from Elos. Are they really that much better than salifert?

Aqua Test Kits (Marine)
ph- 15.89
Ca-29.20
Ca reagent c- 14.60 (this is the most used reagant and it can be bought separate of the test kit)
Mg-29.20
Mg reagent c- 14.60 ( this is the most used reagant and it can be bought separate of the test kit)
PO4-27.57
NO2-24.33
NO3-27.57
NH4-29.20
kH-13.47

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GreshamH":18vsj8yt said:
Elos hands down. Makes Salifert look like kiddie toys. Elos has a better resolution, easier to read scales and is NST lab standard, unlike all hobbyist grade kits. I gave away all my Salifert after getting the Elos :D

I agree!
Another reason I like them is that I can get them consistently. Somehow Salifert seems to be not always gettable on the west coast.

I also like for mg and ca that you don't muck around with a syringe. :D

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well I finally got my salifert, and they are awesome. My calium has been off forever, or so I thought. Today I got a true reading, and it is perfect. That explains all of my coraline growth. I feel like a scientist when I use them with the syringes and cool stuff.

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased 3 test kits from Elos and 3 from salifert. I ended up getting Ca, KH, and Nitrate from Elos. Ammonia, Nitrite, and PH from Salifert. Needless to say I wish I had spent the extra money and gotten all Elos kits. The quality of the kits is better, but more importantly the color coding is much easier to read. I ordered direct from Elos USA in Northern Cal.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: