• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

calsonic

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, this is my first post on these forums but I have been reading and learning for sometime now as I have been establishing my first reef tank.

A question I have is this. I am able to use NSW to do water changes when needed. However, as it is about a 45 minute drive to get it, I was wondering how long I can keep a 25 litre container of NSW before it is no longer useful. I would like to be able to use it for daily top up.

Also, since I am using NSW, do I still need to use calcium addatives like Klakwasser?

thanks in advance and thankyou for a great place to converse and learn about this wonderful hobby.

Geoff.....

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top off is done with fresh water not salt water.

If you live in a clean area and off shore collection is possible, then collecting it and steralizing it before using for water changes would work.

The calcium demand on you tank will depend on what is in there so you may need nothing but water changes or you may need a cacium reactor and kalkreactor.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to RDO!

As mentioned, freshwater is for top off. Seawater is for water change.

It should last a long time in the right container. You may want to filter it before putting it in the jug since zooplankton and other can die off relatively quickly (a few hours if there is not oxygen).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: