• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

I have (4) 48" 110W VHO bulbs. About 3 weeks ago, 2 of the lights shorted out. I thought it was the ballast, so I exchanged it. Well the 2 never came back on, so I bought new bulbs. I tried replacing them last night and still not back on.

Can anyone tell me what the problem might be? Do I have to do some rewiring?

Help!

A

Anonymous

Maybe check the end caps? I would check the wiring to make sure its in the caps tight as well.

A

Anonymous

Rob_Reef_Keeper":2umk4t4u said:
Maybe check the end caps? I would check the wiring to make sure its in the caps tight as well.

I'm not exactly an electrician so I ask remove end caps, check connection, then what? I don't have a meter.

CG1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just check the connections - it is possible for them to get corroded. Also, check that the connections to the ballasts are snug

spaulr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure you do all of the wire stuff with power UNPLUGGED, not just off.

Step 1. Swap the non working setup bulbs to the known working ballast setup. They could both be dead (Don't see how, but possible too). This just rules them out.
Step 2. Make sure that power is actually getting to the ballast. Maybe there is a short in the power cord (unlikely, but possible). A volt meter would help here. With the cable UNPLUGGED. Use the continuity setting to make sure each prong on the power cord is intact.
Step 3. Disassembling the endcaps should be pretty straight forward. It could be that there is a bad connection, no connection with power lead in one of the endcaps.
Step 4. If thats not the case, use a volt meter and use the Continuity setting. This setting buzzes when the + and - leads touch. You can use this to verify that the wire has not been broken at some place (I'd check from the ballast to the endcap)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, I would unplug the ballast. try and remove the wire from the end caps and reattach. Also look at the end caps to make sure they are not corroded.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CG1":s5krb2hz said:
Just check the connections - it is possible for them to get corroded. Also, check that the connections in the ballasts are snug

Ok will do.

Thanks!!

CG1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be a wise guy or anything….did you re-wire the new ballasts correctly? Not sure what you are using – I use to have Icecraps…err, Icecaps and one time I needed to replace the endcaps and it was real easy run a wire incorrectly (since I did it)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your responses. That's what I needed to know!

Much appreciated!

Lars

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this exact set-up and I would tend to suspect the balast or balast connections. If one of my bulbs isn't inserted correctly or an endcap has a loose wire, the bulbs either all come on or none come on. I've never had only two work or not work.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CG1":2xniwggj said:
Not to be a wise guy or anything….did you re-wire the new ballasts correctly? Not sure what you are using – I use to have Icecraps…err, Icecaps and one time I needed to replace the endcaps and it was real easy run a wire incorrectly (since I did it)

I bought the set up all ready installed. It had Icecap ballast but I have since replaced it with Coral Vue ballast. I kept the same wiring. I still have the new wiring from the new ballast still in the box. How often does the end caps need to be replaced?

CG1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shouldn't need to replace them unless they get corroded - sounds like you are good to go Crissy

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: