• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

There's something odd growing on it. It's not one of the tentacles that normally come out. It's red/brownish color. Small in size. My leather is 6" and this "thing" is about 2 cm.

Any one have any ideas what it is?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Crissy,

Does it move? It could be a flatworm or nudibranch, both of which have species that predate Sarcophyton sp. leather corals. I sometimes get algae or cyanobacteria growing on my leather corals as well. I brush it off and it recovers just fine.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":1pn5wv5f said:
Hey Crissy,

Does it move? It could be a flatworm or nudibranch, both of which have species that predate Sarcophyton sp. leather corals. I sometimes get algae or cyanobacteria growing on my leather corals as well. I brush it off and it recovers just fine.

OK, so it's not good whatever it is.

Thanks Len!

BTW, how's your tank doing?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine it being beneficial and would remove it just in case. First way I'd try is to take a small siphon and try to siphon it out. If that doesn't work, you may have to scrape it off, but have a net ready to catch whatever it is before it floats off.

My tank is recovering. Big water changes this weekend, and hopefully all will be well for the new year.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":kiw1ldz4 said:
I can't imagine it being beneficial and would remove it just in case. First way I'd try is to take a small siphon and try to siphon it out. If that doesn't work, you may have to scrape it off, but have a net ready to catch whatever it is before it floats off.

My tank is recovering. Big water changes this weekend, and hopefully all will be well for the new year.

Thanks & Good Luck!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: