• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

fungia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i want a school of something in my 100 gallon, i think anthias may be what i want to try. any recommendation on what kind? i want something beautiful of course and hardy and more potential to school.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pseudanthias squamipinnis (lyretail anthias) is pretty widely regarded as the easiest to keep. It's easy to get eating on frozen mysis and Cyclop-eeze and adapts to captivity pretty readily. It should be out and about the day you add it to the tank. Scott Michael did a #reefs talk about Anthias that can be viewed here:
http://www.reefs.org/library/talklog/s_ ... 30401.html

Just be aware that what you're forming in your tank is a shoal, not a school. If you're expecting the fish to all swim in the same direction and follow each other like they do in the wild that's probably not what will happen. There will be a lot of aggressive encounters; in addition, the fish tend to hang out and do their own thing in big aquariums.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I about 5 female and 1 male lyrtail anthais.

Two of the females died within a week or two. The male lived about 6 months, but never really fed with zest.

Once he died, one of the remaining females turned to male. It was cool watching it change colors.

They are very beautiful, especially for a cheap fish. I think mine were $17 at DFS.

Louey

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: