• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Sorry, nostalgically going through my old photos. :cry:

This guy was almost bullet-proof. Had rocks fall on him, knocking bits off, but always regrew (as did the bits). Amazing lime green color.

Echinophyllia is the decision I came to in the end. Any thoughts?

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2002/invert.htm

He now has a new home with someone else in Tokyo...

Attachments

• Greeeeny.JPG
    Greeeeny.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 2,002
A

Anonymous

A close up. I was pleased with this, considering how bad the macro function was on my old camera (now I have a decent macro function but no aquarium!).

Attachments

• Closegreeeeen.JPG
    Closegreeeeen.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 1,459
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kevin, Blackcloud.

Hmm. Definitely wasn't a monti, but can see why you might think that. It expanded quite a bit at times and you can maybe see the irregularly spaced large corallites, quite different from a monti.

I'lll look up the aspera. 8)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No question, that's an echinophyllia.

And speaking of nostalgia, nice article link 8)

stubbsz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cjdevito":2gn14xqw said:

Interesting to hear you can't handle that coral. My Colt causes me a lot of grief whenever it brushes my hand when I clean the acrylic; I hate having to put on a glove to wipe algae off the front wall. It took a while for that reaction to start.

-Adrian

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cjdevito":2xwgz2up said:

I didn't spot that! :lol:

Thank you very much. You popped up on Google very quickly. 8)

Feel free to use these photos for anything (if they're good enough :oops: - I could also e-mail you higher-res versions if you wanted).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
stubbsz":2gyd1we7 said:
cjdevito":2gyd1we7 said:

Interesting to hear you can't handle that coral. My Colt causes me a lot of grief whenever it brushes my hand when I clean the acrylic; I hate having to put on a glove to wipe algae off the front wall. It took a while for that reaction to start.

-Adrian

To this day echinophyllia remains the only coral I've become sensitized to. Back when that article was written there were so few of us who owned one that I honestly couldn't be sure if my response would be typical for other owners as well, so I felt I should mention it. Now that they're relatively commonplace though it does seem that I'm atypical in being sensitized to it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Escaped Ape":s9jxv2td said:
cjdevito":s9jxv2td said:

I didn't spot that! :lol:

Thank you very much. You popped up on Google very quickly. 8)

Feel free to use these photos for anything (if they're good enough :oops: - I could also e-mail you higher-res versions if you wanted).

Thanks, but no need. Since I wrote that piece five years ago echinophyllia has become pretty commonplace (at least in this country). Back then it was almost impossible to get and never deliberately imported, but now it seems to be on every dealer's availability lists.

It's kind of like Madracis, today -- a coral that's only just beginning to show up as a deliberate import after a few fluke pieces drifted into the hobby.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. No worries.

It has to be said I bought it without much idea what it was (at least I had an idea, but was wrong). Luckily, as you point out in your article, it thrived without much particular care (apart from the fact the tank had 250w MHs and tunze streams anyway).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Escaped Ape":2jyd0d6d said:
Cool. No worries.

It has to be said I bought it without much idea what it was (at least I had an idea, but was wrong)

Likewise, I had no idea what mine was when I purchased it. I just knew that it was not, in fact, an acropora - which is what the shop I bought it from had it labelled as, if you can believe it.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cjdevito":zdkwjqzv said:
The Escaped Ape":zdkwjqzv said:
Cool. No worries.

It has to be said I bought it without much idea what it was (at least I had an idea, but was wrong)

Likewise, I had no idea what mine was when I purchased it. I just knew that it was not, in fact, an acropora - which is what the shop I bought it from had it labelled as, if you can believe it.

8O

:lol:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: