• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

zacharytrimble

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please no jokes...I just straight up dropped a turned on florescent light fixture into my refugium...I was immediately hands off...and there was a grounding probe...didn't shock the fish...but when I got it out (after turning everything off) I noticed the bulb was broken...ehehe, I know there's a tiny bit of mercury in those puppies...could that have leached out and will it rock my tank?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zacharytrimble":2b553kky said:
Please no jokes...I just straight up dropped a turned on florescent light fixture into my refugium...I was immediately hands off...and there was a grounding probe...didn't shock the fish...but when I got it out (after turning everything off) I noticed the bulb was broken...ehehe, I know there's a tiny bit of mercury in those puppies...could that have leached out and will it rock my tank?

If you were quick thinking you would of stopped the flow of water from the refugium and drained it out and replaced the water.

zacharytrimble

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did that...but of course I didn't have the cat-like reflexts to do it the same second as it hapenned...so who knows what could have got sucked up in there...when you have a reply that would benefit my situation let me know.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess telling you not to drop the light wouldn't benefit?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now before you get all mad at my joshing around, let me ask you a few questions.

How big is the system in gallons?

What size bulb was it?

Did it break into pieces and all get wet or did it just crack and some water get in? (from busting them as a kid that seems highly unlikely)

CG1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zacharytrimble":xjklurne said:

Hey Man did the bulb smash or just no longer work? If it smashed open (which I highly doubt) - the worst of it is going to be picking out the glass. I know people that smashed them and spent hours plucking out the glass (6 foot VHO's !) no adverse reactions to the tank. The gasses are vapors - not liquid and should then de-gas from your tank harmlessly. Sounds like you did a water change already, no worries man.

Chubosco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mercury vapors are far more of a hazard than in the solid form. I would be more concerned about you. However, I doubt it would be enough to hurt a fly. Besides, it's a slow poison that usually builds over time. Like drinking from lead crystal.

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm Ive never read anywhere about the adverse affects of mercury however Im sure thermometers have broken in tanks before, and thats mercury in liquid form. Let us know what happens.

Chubosco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mercury vapors are a BIG topic right now as global warming is drying out old growth forest and peat bogs. As they dry out, and catch fire lots of mercury is being release into the air from the way people in the 1920's and up (even past) burned high sulfur coal for heat and the fuel factories used back then. Not good. Mercury in vapor form is quite deadly.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chubosco":eah6ixcm said:
Mercury vapors are a BIG topic right now as global warming is drying out old growth forest and peat bogs. As they dry out, and catch fire lots of mercury is being release into the air from the way people in the 1920's and up (even past) burned high sulfur coal for heat and the fuel factories used back then. Not good. Mercury in vapor form is quite deadly.

Just out of curiosity

How does old growth forest and peat bogs drying and burning relate to people in teh 1920's burning high sulfur coal?

You don't make a lot of sense, you might want to rephrase some of that...

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zacharytrimble

Since noone has said this...

:welcome:

Sorry you had that happen! Since I've never heard of anyone else having that issue I did a little quick research and I didn't turn up a whole heck of a lot, sorry. I did find this info Wiki, how old was the bulb?

Mercury is lost from the gas fill throughout the lamp life, as it is slowly absorbed into glass, phosphor, and tube electrodes, where it can no longer function.

If it was older perhaps the amount of mercury left in it was on the low end. The only thing I can think to do is run activated carbon in the tank which may or may not help and keep a close watch on the livestock. Also maybe prepare enough water to do a huge change if it is needed.

How is the tank looking now?

Chubosco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well...it was what I read in Time. The New York Times had an article on it as well. Maybe the coal was an issue not related directly to the mercury but to additonal pollution however the factories were directly related to mercury. Actually, I think high sulfer coal does have mercury in it along with a mulitude of other things. I'll reread the the Time article. I have a hate for coal because my uncle owns a high sulfur coal mine. We fight constantly. ANYWAY..

Chubosco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K., it is definitely from coal and gasoline. Coal fired plants put tons of it into the air. As well as millions of people way back when heating with coal. Hmmm...lawdawg corrected. Unusual, and such a pretty girl. Let's see, do I get a feather for that. I ain't even squat.

stubbsz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chubosco":1j1y6wcf said:
Hmmm...lawdawg corrected. Unusual, and such a pretty girl. Let's see, do I get a feather for that. I ain't even squat.

I'm not going to comment on that but I will say that I was glad to see the demise of the scary clown avatar. Clowns, I don't like them.

Chubosco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes we all tease each other. If I was half as smart as lawdawg, I would be president. She has always shown herself as a wonderful and highly intelligent person. Hope she takes this well!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chubosco":3lq0tnoe said:
Sometimes we all tease each other. If I was half as smart as lawdawg, I would be president. She has always shown herself as a wonderful and highly intelligent person. Hope she takes this well!

:D We are not amused! ;) thanks for the compliments.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: