• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

robt j

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions. I have mushrooms multiplying faster than I would like. They are taking over. I also have SPS corals that are being closed in on by the mushrooms. I have tried removing them by scraping, pulling etc. with no luck. My tank is doing very well, but I need to get these mushrooms under control.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
remove the rock with the mushrooms if possible. Other than that.. if you can kalk-paste the mushrooms you might kill them, however they'll more than likely just grow right over those areas given time.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are always ppl in the area looking for corals for a cheap price. Maybe even trade them in for credit at your LFS.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) Small shaped plastic charge? Seriously, the only thing to do is remove the rock they are on. I've tried Kalk paste with limited sucess, those things are tough to kill.

stubbsz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got the same problem with Green Palys, the first coral I ever put in the tank and pulsing Xenia... at least people like to buy that. I've also get Colt coral popping up all over the place and that reallllllly irritates other corals that it brushes. Fortunately, it's easy to remove the colts as they spring up.

-Adrian

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would there be any mileage in putting the rock they're on in a place where it's not touching other rocks? Or can they spread across sand?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Escaped Ape":bz37obdq said:
Would there be any mileage in putting the rock they're on in a place where it's not touching other rocks? Or can they spread across sand?

They will simply detach themselves from the rock, and float to a new spot.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are a nice BRIGHT green, PM me. I'm interested and will pay for shipping. 8)

Vasces

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some mushrooms that spread like crazy, so about 3 years ago, I started buying cheap base rock and putting in my tank in the "Path" of the mushrooms. A couple months late, I have live rock with mushrooms on it that the local fish store is more than happy to give me a little credit for.

...and then my return pump litteraly melted and my tank crashed, but that's a whole nother post.

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mushrooms arent exactly spreading quickly but they are growing large in size. They started out at 2 inch diameter and now are 4 inches in diameter each. Of course Im still trying to work out if they are mushrooms or ricordia.

utahsaltreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its easy to get rid of them. Just go on vacation and forget to tell someone not to turn off the heater for the house. When the house drops to 30 degrees even the best heaters in the tank don't seem to stand a chance. :( :( :( :((

utahsaltreefer

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that was not fun to come home too. On the plus side only one fish died due to the cold. The MH light warmed up the tank enough during the day I guess. Next time I think I'll tape a big sign over the thermostat.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: