• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

saltank

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed since having my sump installed and running (about 6 weeks now) that a layer of "scum", for lack of better description, collects on the surface of the water in the fuge area

Every now and then I will stir the water around to try to break it up, sometimes I can even remove a lot of it, it comes off the surface like a clear gooey substance.

Is this unusual? If not , what do you all do about it, if anything?

Thanks in advance

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's excess organics in the water collecting at the surface...but I Like your descriptive term "sump scum" much better :lol:

About the only way to remove it is via aggressive protein skimming. Do you have skimmer? If so, is it working properly?

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be grateful that you have a sump. Otherwise it'd be floating on your main display tank.

It is quite common. Airborn dust, oil, organic matters all contribute to this layer of scum. If you do not have skimmer, manual removal is the only way out.

saltank

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I do have a skimmer, aqua c remora in the sump powered by a rio 800. Really dirty water does collect in the cup, although probably only about 1-1/2 inches in a week.

The skimmer is located right next to the filter sock that the main display drains into. Before my sump I used the prefilter box on the remors in the display tank and was able to work it quite well, eliminating the stuff from the surface of the water.

Perhaps the skimmer could function better? Different powerhead? any suggestions

Thanks again

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: