• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jt481

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a Oceanic 30. Tank is dry waiting for a refugium from acrylicman. Lighting is in place - the Sunpod HQI MH 20" 150w with 12 lunars. The tank came with the 15 watt flourescent fixture. I would like to gut that fixture and retrofit it with an atinic only lamp, so that I have the option of viewing the reef with actinic only. The advantage of keeping the fixture is for aesthetics-it has the contrast cherry/black to match the stand. I am finding that most retros come with either a 50/50 or daylight bulb and so I would need to purchase another actinic bulb which increase cost. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Oceanic 30 fixture.jpg
    Oceanic 30 fixture.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 452

jt481

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I needed to gut the fixture and put higher output power compact actinics or replace this with a pc fixture. But what about just replacing the florescent bulb with a Corallife actinic NO bulb. Sure I would only be getting 15 watts as opposed to 80 watts if I went with a 20" Dual Satellite (2x40 Sunpaqs) but if more light is not needed whats the difference right?
I just need to be assured that the NO actinic bulbs are truly actinic and not just blue bulbs.

Attachments

• Corallife NO bulb.gif
    Corallife NO bulb.gif
    3.4 KB · Views: 443

fungia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, normal output bulbs are true actinics. if you dont need the extra light, go with normal output, it is the simpliest swap.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: