• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Galvan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a 75 gallon, 7 animals, 90lbs of LR. Have on carpet coral, 1 brain coral.

have 2 atonic at 65watt and 2 65Watt at 10,000.
Atonic on at 7:00am to 9:00pm and 10K are on from 10:00am to 7:00pm.

Problem is that some red possibly slime is creeping up on me. I can see it at the front glass just underneath the sand bed. It is not that bad but want to get rid of it before it gets to be too much. Can I vacccum this up or use Chemi-clean, if I use Chemi-clean will it destroy what is underneath the sand bed. Appreciate your thoughts.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have red slime. i vaccum it out every once in a while.
i use a siphon hose as a vaccum and do a water change at the same time.
i am careful not to let any particles float away during the cleaning.
i'll get it all one of these days 8)
it came in on some rock. i think i have some weird green slime too.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Galvan":1s9tquzl said:
have a 75 gallon, 7 animals, 90lbs of LR. Have on carpet coral, 1 brain coral.

have 2 atonic at 65watt and 2 65Watt at 10,000.
Atonic on at 7:00am to 9:00pm and 10K are on from 10:00am to 7:00pm.

Problem is that some red possibly slime is creeping up on me. I can see it at the front glass just underneath the sand bed. It is not that bad but want to get rid of it before it gets to be too much. Can I vacccum this up or use Chemi-clean, if I use Chemi-clean will it destroy what is underneath the sand bed. Appreciate your thoughts.

Sounds like cyanobacteria in the bed, which happens. Do you have some sand sifting snails or other sandbed stirrers? Those can help some. Also, lightly vacuuming up the bed when you do a water change can also be helpful. Chemi-clean may do some good, but personally I have never used it so I can't say one way or the other.

All those fixes don't address the real issue, excess nutrients that fuel it. There are plenty of threads here on that subject, you can do a search using "cyanobacteria" as a keyword.
http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/search.php

One last aside, how old are your light bulbs? Even though the cyano is under the sand ATM, using old bulbs (where the light spectrum has shifted) can make it easier for it to spead to other places in the tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: