• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Old Man Of The Sea

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I will see about doing at this time. I will check back with Aquatic Concepts and see what it cost to just get the lighting system working that I have in place and options on dosing rather then spending on calcium reactors.

For three the 175 MH bulbs on the 240 are bad and they never been used on top of that, LOL> This was some the work that my good buddy Jeff from fish world had done for me.

I do know that the lights from the 240 will need to be rerouted to another wall outlet and I would see if this could be done without tripping the fuss box, but when and if I do upgrade the lights to 400 wattage MH bulbs, I would then need for sure the two wall outlets to be upgraded to higher amps.

Jeff left the boxes for the MH lights on the floor, I will see what the guy from Aquatic Concepts has to say what would need to be done with that to do FO only tanks for the next two years or so, it still would cost several hundreds to have regular fluorescent fixtures and glass strips coverings from a glass cutting place about 12" wide for all this might cost as much as $500 to $600 for both tanks (180 and 240).

So it was suggested to me twice only why don't I do corals anyway being that I have the 175 watts MH in place. I still need the skimmers for these tanks in which would be my first thing to do after the Xmas shopping is done.

What do some think of the ASM skimmers, for they are near look a likes to the ER skimmers and are so much less in cost and either I learn of ways to dose by hand on calcium for if I need to buy the reactors as well, then we are talking cost again and right now is a bad time for this.

So if I could manage the calcium levels in both tanks without the reactors in which I not had done before, then it will all depend on the reactors I get on what their price are. And also remember that I would be needing two ASM skimmers for the 240 because the height under the stand is only 24"

I quitted FO tanks some 6-7 years ago and if I nothing else that I can do with these tanks until I can get the money together to do what I wanted from the start of these tanks, I would do FO then.

In one site, two people act as they understand nothing at all in what I typed and if I to get responses such as those, then please make no remarks for I'm sorry my typing is not so great and all and I told others before that if I had to make it as a private secretary, the man upstairs best to give me a goddess figure for I wouldn't make it.

Also people, something else had happen in the last two days, That in the near two years or so that I might have to make cuts on these tanks or disregard the hobby altogether or I best to say that I would have to then sell the tanks due to the fact that my family would need my assistance, financially that is.

This I was told of just two days ago that my daughter has no idea how much longer she will be able to work and once she is not able to work, that if at that time the tanks aren't completed in stocking, I will then have to make the decision to return all corals and fish to the lfs and shut these tanks down.

So I hope you all understand me in what I'm trying to say in all this that if and when my daughter can no longer work and she needs my help in what little I can do, she will have that help for if I have to shut these tanks down so that I can best help my family, I will for my family is the first and most important in my life over anything marine tanks I have.

This also includes the eel tanks would be shut down and of course it all depends on my daughters financial position. Still I would continue my researching and all for I still after spoken to my daughter had bought a book to do with eels, nothing to do on the species ID but rather body and internal structure among a good many other things.

So anything what one not understands, please quote it and ask me of what I meant, thanks

Buddy

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buddy, ASM skimmers are really nice for the price. I have one and I'm very pleased. But if I had the chance to buy one again, I'd go with an Octopus skimmer (http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_35) so you might want to check them out. You really don't need to have a calcium reactor to keep corals. I would think that it would me much less of a hassle if you do have one and use it on a SPS tank that is STUFFED with them, but it would still be possible to just dose. What corals do you already have or plan to have?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would seriously consider Octopus skimmers as well. ASM is nice, but IMO the new Octopus skimmers are serious contenders in terms of build quality and value.

With all that gear, you might as well go low-light corals (softies and LPS). Dosing pump (dosing top off water and b-ionic) would be perfect to round off your system for corals and fish alike.

Old Man Of The Sea

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope this works, but if it does, it be crazy for I cannot do nothing if and when I might be on my daughters computer for many times I am for I help with my grandchildren most the time. And if this works Len, I later will have to retype about what is happening for much has in the past week and nothing good. But still I will have both reef tanks, only it be is when and how much more money and so many other issues to think about.

But I will later if this works explain most of it later another day for this week I am very busy with those little monsters of mine.

This was done through the firefox internet>

Buddy

So when one responds to this, I will see if I get a notice by email >

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: