• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ping29

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i go to home depot or something and buy a light fixture that has room for 6 vho bulbs 100 watts or whatever and hook up a ballast to it will it not be the same as the ones you buy for a crazy amount online or am i just in the dark lost and confused. i have a jebo 26o watt pc light right now for my 90 gallon but would like more light the way i fig is a only have 3 watts per gallon, and can i change my pc bulbs to more watts 65 each right now. anyway thats all i got to say about that.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could buy one of the fixtures for room for 6 VHO bulbs, however that's all you're buying is the room for it, you'll need to swap out the ballasts otherwise your VHO will be running at NO power.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a very shallow tank and/or your lighting needs are modest, cheap NO fluorescent lighting systems like shoplights can be of some value. They can also make a decent temporary lighting system in a pinch.

That said, they are by no means comparable to most of the lighting available in the reef hobby. Most shoplights are only equipped to run NO fluorescent lighting. They are not normally equipped with VHO ballasts or endcaps so you can't run high output lamps in them. Also, the reflectors in most shoplights are pretty bad. The reflector is one of the most critical components in any lighting system and ultimately determines how much light will actually get to your corals. Reef lighting systems generally use high output lamps with good reflectors and light output will be far greater than any shoplight.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran 6 NO aquarium bulbs with varying spectrums on my 125 gal. for over a year and couldn't even get coraline algae to grow.

pwj1286

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost in the dark,

Go buy a VHO ballast, VHO endcaps, VHO bulbs, and a reflector if you want.

Wire it up (very easy) and mount it to your hood, and call it done. You will have the right light for the job.

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watts per gallon is really not a useful rule of thumb IMO. I'll give you an example of why it doesn't work...

Say you have a coral sitting under a 250 watt lamp, 12 inches under the water. If the coral is sitting in a 25 gallon tank you're at 10 WPG. If the coral is sitting in a 50 gallon tank WPG is only 5. Realistically the coral is sitting the same distance from the same lighting setup in the same depth of water, therefore, it's getting the same amount of light in either scenario...

Another issue with this guideline is that not all lighting systems are created equal. Some will put out a lot more light per watt consumed than others.

Assuming you have a "standard" glass 90 gallon (48 X 24 X 18), if it were me and I was looking to keep primarily clams and light demanding stony corals in there, I would put a pair of 250 watt halides over it.

HTH

dnorton1978

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to use flash lights and flood lights for lighting. The flash lights serve the purpose as a back up when power goes out. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding. Lighting is a great debate. One person my have good luck with pc's, another with vho's, most use MH. I would be willing to bet there are people out there that have used shop lights with some success. Or atleast they will tell you that.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dnorton1978":1tqdbzji said:
I would be willing to bet there are people out there that have used shop lights with some success. Or atleast they will tell you that.

One comes immediately to mind, but I haven't seen him active in the reef community in over a half a decade. Which may say everything worth hearing, right there.

Anyway, I'm with Chris' answer one hundred percent on this. Well, 90%... if it's a 90 gallon being set up as a dedicated SPS and Clams tank, I'd go whole hog and grab a pair of 400 watt halides.

ping29

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the reason why I ask is, I was o so excited to try my luck with a reef tank (even though I read alot up on them) I was still get this get that must get light, never thinking of the long run which this is what its all about. So I have a jebo odyssey 260 watt 2 65 watt 12000k and 2 antics 65 watt. Instead of putting it to the side I though I could add another 260 watts and call her done which should give me enough light but, what do I now still new to this. Thanks for all the opinions. Good bad always welcome

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bunch of PCs can work fine for keeping a wide variety of stuff, but if your primary interest is very light demanding animals then, personally, I would go with halides on a tank that size.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: