• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Galvan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the first time after 1year and 8 months I check the alkalinity and phosphate. I have 5 corals and 6 animals. The readings I got today are 4.34 meq/l on the alkalinity and a little less that .25ppm on the phosphate. If I'm correct my Alkalinity is reading high the norm seems to be 2.9Meq/l. Not sure what problems this alkalinity reading can cause to corals or tank in general, appreciate some suggestions on bringing this level down to where it should be.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ALK is a bit high but not a problem as long as you can still maintain your Calcium above 400ppm.

If it gets too high it can cause Calcium to precipitate and you won't be able to maintain a very good Calcium level. Your heaters, pumps, and powerheads will start to grow a calcium carbonate crust and that will shorted their lifespan. Precipitation can also lower your Magnesium level over time.

If it get way too high you can have a precipitation event. This is where Calcium carbonate crystals form spontaneously. This can be very serious because PH drops rapidly and the "snow" can cover rocks, sand, etc. and form a crust.

If you back off of what ever alk supplement you're dosing it should drop naturally.

Galvan

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see this crust to be growing on my power heads. I assumed this was a good thing but now I see that it is not. I have been dosing with Kent Liquid calcium. should I dose with the B-ionic supplement? instead of hte Liquid calcium. I do not use the Liquid very much a few cap full every 2-3 weeks. i am doing water changes.

How can I get my alkalinity to drop to about 3.5 meq/l.

These are the readings I got yesterday.

Alkalinity KH 12.2 or 4.34meq/L
phosphate .25ppm
PH 8.0 to 8.1
Calcium 430, this has dropped from 480.
nitrate approx. 30ppm
Ammonia 0
nitrite 0
SG 1.025

One more subject,

I have salt creeping out from my glass tops around the plastic, this happens only on the side where my overflow is not sure why this is happening.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think Liquid Calcium raises Alkalinity, what else are you dosing? The Carbonate has to come from somewhere. Like I said, it's just slightly high, nothing to be concerned with as long as you can still maintain the Calcium level.

It might be worth testing Magnesium once in a while.

The salt creep is probably a result of water droplets splasing in your overflow. Keep it wiped down so it doesn't wick water out of the tank but it's normal.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: