PHILYD1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Thinking about designing and automatic water change system, trying to figure out if it would be better to do mult. small water changes say everyday or one big one every week or so..i have a 120g tank so i would do 5g a day which is 35g a week which is about 10% a week..please let me know your opinion

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
IMO a 10% water change weekly is probably the best thing you can do for your tank but I have heard some folks with very successful tanks like to do more frequent smaller water changes. My thought on smaller water changes is that you are always removing a portion of the most recent water change for each successive one your perform.

We just recently had a review done on the product below and it sounds VERY interesting and it might be something you want to take a look at :)
http://www.reefs.com/blog/2011/11/15/product-review-genesis-reef-systems-renew-part-1/

mshur

Rating - 99.3%
294   2   1
i was thinking about auto w/c on my future set up and i am planning on couple of gallons a day. depending how much total water i'll have. in the same time 10% weekly is good too.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Thinking about designing and automatic water change system, trying to figure out if it would be better to do mult. small water changes say everyday or one big one every week or so..i have a 120g tank so i would do 5g a day which is 35g a week which is about 10% a week..please let me know your opinion

I am very interested... I would love to see what you have in mind.

PHILYD1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
the basic idea of what i wanna do is have a pump that pulls set amount and pump that pushes same amount of fresh saltwater back into system at same time so there is no change in water levels in tank or sump

reefoman

memberator
Vendor
Rating - 97.7%
126   3   0
I am looking to get an apex when I get a controller. Can you give a little more information?

Of course, anything you want to know ;)
All you need to do water change is two float switches from eBay $3.50 each and I/O brakeout box from Neptune $36 or I can provide all info how to DIY that box and save some money... Two small power heads I'll recommend rio 800 and that's it.
That's the simplest way how to setup water change if you have room for containers close to your sump but if you don't I can tell you how to do it using boosting pump (my setup) and run water to the drain even 50 feet and other 50 feet or so from your tank with fresh mix I'm using 1/4" Teflon tubing (RO tubing)...

Here is short video (not my) how it works if you gonna use reg power heads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6otjHT2Z-E&feature=youtube_gdata_player

You can tell you apex to turn off that programm after several minutes in case the pump doesn't turn off and you don't have to use extra cane with float switch but probably the guy who did this video didn't know that or for some reason did his protection ;)

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: