• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

ROGERWILCO357

michigan reefer sps
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just discovered AEFW eggs on my acros, what is the best reef safe fish that i can buy to get rid of them? I heard six line wrasse are aggressive towards other fish and i hear some fish are great at eating the worms but arent reef safe. From your experience what would you say is the safest bet?

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Let's clear some stuff up.
1) Flatworm Exit does not affect Acro Eating Flatworms at all.

2) No fish is known to reliably eat the flatworms or their eggs while on the colonies.

3) Pretty much all commonly kept fish will readily eat them if they are knocked of the colonies and into the water column.

4) If you are talking about Red Planaria flatworms, then both Flat Worm Exit and the melanauras wrasse are excellent choices for eradication.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
+1 I know of a few people who just use a turkey baster to blow them into the water column where pretty much everything eats them, like Randy, said. It's just something to add to your maintenance schedule... it's all about supression :tongue1:.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
If you want to get rid of them dip all your corals in Coral Revive several times over a 6 week period. Kill encrusted bases and scrape off eggs + glue over the area. It's a real PITA!

ROGERWILCO357

michigan reefer sps
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well the eggs

the eggs are on the coral dead area's and the worms i have seen only 3 are opaque in color white and oval. and look just like the pics ..i know the fish will not eat the eggs but then neither will basting the corals but if i baste the fish will eat them and the tangs well i have no clue about them but basting with the fish to keep the population in check is what i am going to do until i can get a frag tank \ qt tank setup then i will dipp and qt them and wait for the 6 week cycle to break hopefully i don't loose all my coral as i just broke up my purple milli it was almost 10inch in diameter damm..it and the slimer are the only ones showing signs so hopefully i will be catching it in time..any other fish you can suggest would be nice as all i have is tangs and could use some helpful fish the tangs do well with the algae but need some more defense...

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I'll one up the coral revive... Try a full hydrogen peroxide dip (but not before researching it. If you have specific questions you can ask me here or pM up to you). I have tried a peroxide dip on a few of my monti's that were infested with nudibranchs a while back and in the container you could see the nudi's fall off and some looked like they started to dissolve. This isn't a casual treatment and you can easily kill the entire animal if you do it wrong, but when you absolutely, positively, must kill every possible coral issue in the room... hydrogen peroxide is my weapon of choice.

Also, I have never personally tried them with AEFW, but springeri damsels might hunt them since they are small enough to be worth the effort. Plus they just look cool and aren't a waste of tank space.

ROGERWILCO357

michigan reefer sps
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
question

does it work on the flat worms? and pm me on the amount used per gallon ..also last question does it do anything for the eggs? since the eggs are the ones hard to get since they get laid between the corals branches..thanks for helping me out man i am stressed..
Roger

I'll one up the coral revive... Try a full hydrogen peroxide dip (but not before researching it. If you have specific questions you can ask me here or pM up to you). I have tried a peroxide dip on a few of my monti's that were infested with nudibranchs a while back and in the container you could see the nudi's fall off and some looked like they started to dissolve. This isn't a casual treatment and you can easily kill the entire animal if you do it wrong, but when you absolutely, positively, must kill every possible coral issue in the room... hydrogen peroxide is my weapon of choice.

Also, I have never personally tried them with AEFW, but springeri damsels might hunt them since they are small enough to be worth the effort. Plus they just look cool and aren't a waste of tank space.

skatezen

If You pick it, Flick it!
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I had great success doing the Revive dips and QT. It's good practice to do QT on all fish and corals BEFORE you put them in your tank. That way you can isolate the problem should one arise and treat accordingly.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
The peroxide dip is just a straight dip. Buy a few bottles, depending on how many colonies are getting dipped (it gets pretty slimey in there very quickly and you don't want to keep dipping every specimen in the same peroxide with all the other corals chemical defenses) and pour enough in a bucket to submerge the colonies that are getting dipped. I like to give them a very short, maybe a 1 minute dip, while moving them around to really flush the animal completely and irrigate every inch of tissue. Follow this with placing the animal either in the tank or in another bucket of tank water and flush again to remove slime and any peroxide left on the animal. Allow it to rest for about 30 minutes, then repeat the process. I wouldn't do this more than 2 or three times in a session without several hours of rest in between. Some corals can take it better than others and can withstand being exposed to the dip for a little while longer but I would stick to this for now. If you had any doubt on the potency of this kind of dip just look in the bucket after you dip the first coral, there will be amphipods, copepods, various worms, etc. sitting on the bottom either dead or very near death. Corals will produce an unusual amount of slime during the dip so I would replace the peroxide afterusing it on 3 fist sized colonies. Frags or smaller specimens you can get a few more dips out of but the "soup" can get pretty bad the more corals you bathe. Feel free to ask if you need any further clarification.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: