• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So it's always been a dream of mine to have a reef tank that was a sunken World War II wreck. I would incorporate models with my rock and corals. I haven't really seen anyone on here doing something like that, but I'm sure I'm missing someones tank thread with that sort of idea. I would like to do this as realistic as possible. I was wondering if anyone knew some good places to get cheap models of that sort, maybe if someone had some old stuff they'd be willing to get rid of. I am about to upgrade to a 25 gallon cube glass tank and will definitely have some room to do that. I don't want it to take up too much of my tank. Maybe just a plane and some scattered equipment, maybe a skeleton, who knows. So if anyone has some ideas or somewhere where I could get this stuff cheap that would really help. Thanks and have a good rest of the weekend!

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
Well let me start off by saying 25 gallon cube will definitely NOT be much room to do something like that. Second you must be very careful of what you put inside the tank because certain paints that may be used on models may have LEAD in them. They could also leak phosphates and such into the tank as well as rust or just get rusty in the future especially since salt is a corrosive.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I kind of have that Idea also but I don't use an entire wreck, only part of it.
Budcanandcopperband.jpg

rebelson

Shatter your reality
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Lead based paint was banned in the 70's. Most model kits come un-painted, and even if they we're painted it would be with lead free paint. Most, if not all kits are plastic = no rusting parts.

bigdog1428

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 88.1%
59   8   0
Lead based paint was banned in the 70's. Most model kits come un-painted, and even if they we're painted it would be with lead free paint. Most, if not all kits are plastic = no rusting parts.

so would it work ,,,bc i like the idea i think it would be really cool ,,,i whanna get a model of the titanic and put it in there

rebelson

Shatter your reality
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Depends what size (scale) the model you're looking to get is. Smaller the scale the better it would look in the tank you're going to put it in.

bigdog1428 said:
so would it work ,,,bc i like the idea i think it would be really cool ,,,i whanna get a model of the titanic and put it in there

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
So it's always been a dream of mine to have a reef tank that was a sunken World War II wreck. I would incorporate models with my rock and corals.
I see from your profile, that you take care of the Pratt tanks...I would suggest that you try out the 'sunken ships/planes' in those tanks, first, to see how you like it! (I'm sure Randy won't mind...:shhh: tell him it's research for your thesis!)

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Yeah it would definitely be on a small scale. I don't want it to take over my tank as I still plan to add more corals in the following few months. Same question as bigdog, what types of objects could I put in the tank that would not alter water quality and risk any kind of damage to corals and fish?

waynotcars

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I say if that's your dream then go for it! I'm sure if you investigate anything you add to tank carefully you'll find something but +1 on being real careful what you put in the tank. They make all those artificial corals and such which are reef safe so I'm sure somebody out there makes wwII stuff. I'm thinking that if there's a WWII deco that's made for freshwater and there are no metal parts on it then it may also be reef safe.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
I see from your profile, that you take care of the Pratt tanks...I would suggest that you try out the 'sunken ships/planes' in those tanks, first, to see how you like it! (I'm sure Randy won't mind...:shhh: tell him it's research for your thesis!)

:smash: don't give him any ideas!!! I'm already considering firing him for simply coming up with the concept :biggrin:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: