A

Anonymous

Can anyone recommend some hardy, brightly-coloured soft corals, preferably captive-propagated? My understanding is that most (if not all) are nonphotosynthetic, and therefore more difficult. If you can point me to a vendor, that would be very helpful too.

A

Anonymous

Hi,
Most soft corals do just fine without feeding. Examples include xenia, and toadstool leathers. Although many do appreciate an ocasional feeding. As for a vendor you can't go wrong with http://www.garf.org they have many great corals that do well under almost any questions. They have great prices too. Your really get a great deal because they often have multiple corals on a rock and or multiple kinds on one rock. For example on one rock i got 5 kinds of palythoa and zoanthids. Just give them a call and they will help you pick the right corals for your tank. Also right now you can order 5 corals and they willl send you 2 free. Sorry if i sound like an advertisement but i am REALLY happy with my shipment of corals. You can't go wrong with GARF!!

------------------
What else would I spend my money on?

[email protected]

A

Anonymous

Thanks. Actually I was looking for a couple of more brightly coloured ones to supplement those that I received from garf. The garf cuttings, though small, grew fast and are quite hardy. However I would like to supplement this with something a bit more colorful -- say red or orange.

There are two in particular listed by Delbeek and Sprung, Nephthyigorgia and Scleronephthya. Does anyone have any experience with these (eg: hardiness, feeding requirements, etc? and are either of these available as captively propagated cuttings?).

A

Anonymous

I was a bit confused at your question, but I think I get it now. You are interested in those soft corals which are brightly colores, and so far, from what you can tell, the brightly colored ones are non-photosynthetic. You are indeed right in that they are pretty difficult to take care of. They need at least daily feedings and it is important to find out what types of food they eat.

There is another option which is a hard coral, but looks much like a softie... the sun coral (Tubastrea faulkneri). It requires daily feedings, but if fed diligently, survives pretty well.

------------------
E >< () !} !_! S

"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems,... And God saw that it was good."
(Genesis 1:21)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: