drperetz

No more big tanks
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I just started about 2 months ago 2 tanks 1 45g tall tank and 1 quarentine tank. i am using an rodi filter but i still have a brown algae growth what should i do, is it may be the nitrate thats causing it cause i got some live stock but they dont produce that much poop.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
What you are going through is part of the natural cycle. Just keep up with the water changes and keep skimming. Make sure that you have a good cleanup crew. It will subside soon.

BTW that algae is called Diatoms

What livestock is in there now? And when were they added?

drperetz

No more big tanks
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
continue

well in the 45g i got a damsel and a feather for a test, in the little 1 i got a 2 clowns and a huge common hermit red leg 2 inches cleats everything, so i take him through different tank to clean all the diatoms for now cause my snails are still in the prosess i am trying to get turbos from pet land for 1.20 each

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Thats cool! Patience is key here. Just avoid putting more fish in at this time so you dont add to the nutrients. What kind of skimmer are you using?

drperetz

No more big tanks
Rating - 100%
30   0   0

on the 45 i am using remora with a mag3 and a 404 fluval
om the 10 g quarentine tank i am using 2 hangons a aquaclear 50 and a wisper + dayly water changes less than 10 %

aaron23

!THE ULTIMATE REEFER!
Rating - 98.3%
234   4   0
2 months is a while. i dont know about you but i cant stare at a bare bottom with rock for more than 2 months without fish and coral...:)

If your tanks going through a cycle avoid putting more fish in and keep doing weekly water changes 10% or so. Keep the lights off too.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
drperetz said:
on the 45 i am using remora with a mag3 and a 404 fluval
om the 10 g quarentine tank i am using 2 hangons a aquaclear 50 and a wisper + dayly water changes less than 10 %

as everyone said its going through its cycle... i just started my tank up about a week or 2 ago and i already hit my diatom cycle part. so no worries... yes im gonna say it also dont add anymore fish.. lmao..

also i would consider getting rid of the fluval if you want this to be a reef tank... it will aid in excess nutrients and be a diatrus trap and will raise ur nitrates.... just an idea to think about...

Last edited:

drperetz

No more big tanks
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
i am thinking of making a sump out of the 10 gallon but the problem isthat its hard to fit anything into that cabinet its not wide enough for anything:banghead:

phk36

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
patience is a word that is hard to use . If you dont use it in the long run you will wish that you had. I have made many bad choices in the past, and i now take my time with any choice i make . After you loose things you wish that you had used patience . I dont mean this in a bad way , best of luck to you .

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
aaron23 said:
2 months is a while. i dont know about you but i cant stare at a bare bottom with rock for more than 2 months without fish and coral...:)

If your tanks going through a cycle avoid putting more fish in and keep doing weekly water changes 10% or so. Keep the lights off too.

Keep the lights off too??:Thinking:????:scratchch:knockedou:dead1:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: