Rating - 100%
6   0   0
quesiton 1:
How many check valves usualy go on a reeftank setup...
(see my tank thread below if you need a visual.)

question 2:
Also.. if your running a oceansmotions * how many are setup on that , 1 or 4...

I want to get in on the next groupbuy for these valves....

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
A properly set up tank shouldn't really require check valves.

Also.. if your running a oceansmotions * how many are setup on that , 1 or 4...

Not sure what you are asking here..the Oceanmotions is a unit that produces flow on it's own.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This was what I came across but , it just didn't look right... so I wanted toask before I did something like this.

BUT, After a nice long detailed msg... I will persue professional help to get this finished.

* thanks for the reply , I'll contact u on msg richie.

331.jpg

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
+1 there should not be a reason for a check valve.
There are no check valves in that assembly. There is a middle unit that opens ports to allow flow intermittently to certain zones. Probably rotates inside as it is circular.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
The reason people do not like check valves is because over time there is algae/gook buildup inside your piping and check valves which makes it so the check valve doesn't close fully. They end up being useless in a few months. Why waste the energy and time installing something that won't work when you can juts correctly plumb it so you don't need the check valves?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Much further thanks for explaining what a waste of money the check valves are... , As stated above I will look into getting professional help because I have no clue how to even begin to plumb this together. I was hoping I can pick everyones brain but, I guess everyones guess is as good as mine in this Einstein setup.

Thanks for the help Everyone , I'll keep yah posted on my proceedings

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
That is not an Einstein setup.
It is merely 4 ball valves installed on four ports with quick disconnects.

If this was turned on and supplied with water the way it is in the picture you would have to place the center port ( the one under the black item) onto a pump, open each ball valve ( the red handles) and you would see an amount of water coming out each of the four ports intermittently.

I think this is an overly complicated mechanical/hydraulic approach compared to getting a couple powerheads and a controller. There are a lot of potential failure points with this setup. Looks more Titanic than Einsteinian.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
While the OceansMotion is fairly simple to understand, I wouldn't recommend a newbie to set one up themselves due to lots of plumbing needed.
Most people set it up like this where the water comes up from the bottom, and then goes over the tank
s-s-compact-plumb3.gif

or I have it like this where the metal is facing forward, so the water goes up, then a 90 degree turn into the OM, and the 4 outlets go to 4 corners of my tank. The 2 higher outlets are going to the front of the tank and over the rear corners.
s-s-compact-plumb2.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: