RO Water Waste Solution?

4Fish

Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start by saying, I am not handy at all. I have yet to use RO water, partly due to the wasted water, partly due to afraid of strain on plumbing. I was thinking about some crazy idea:

1. Get two 55 gallon drums of water and place them next to eachother, with an ehiem pump in each.

2. Drum 1 will pump the water into the RO system, the access water will go into Drum 2.

3. Drum 2 will pump the waste water into Drum 1, which will then go into back into the RO unit - etc. etc.
:fight2:

mbg75

DIATOM MAGNET
Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
You'll probably spend mire money replacing filters than the cost of wasted water...
Better idea would be to use the waste water for clothes washer or for plants.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

cryptics

Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
I researched something similar a while back. It doesn't work because the waste water has 30% or so more tds. The water will eventually get really dirty

cryptics

Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
Russ

I have the air water and ice typhoon 150gpd. That pump says it is good up to 120gpd. I never get the full 150 because of pressure so could I still use this?

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
or if you have a booster on your RODI you can feed the waste line into a second membrane and have 2 clean lines and 1 waste.

4Fish

Manhattan Reefs
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the great replies. Am I just paranoid or does a RO system put a lot of strain on the plumbing/pipes due to the back pressure.