bklynreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I've had one years ago and lasted about one year. Never touched my shrimps but I knew it might but that was a decision I was will to deal with. It died in a fight with my blue spiny lobster. Lobster won but died also after he ate him. Live and learn. No more eel, no more lobsters.

Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Oh wow lol
Didn't think they were such a NO-NO for our tanks.
Well thank god I asked first. Because I was already looking for one to buy

Beautiful creature though

Thank you for your advices

Is there any type of snake looking fish that would be a good addition to a tank?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Oh wow lol
Didn't think they were such a NO-NO for our tanks.
Well thank god I asked first. Because I was already looking for one to buy

Beautiful creature though

Thank you for your advices

Is there any type of snake looking fish that would be a good addition to a tank?

Depends what size tank you have, and what you are willing to sacrifice.:teeth:

Zebra eel is beautiful, and reported to be reef safe! I had one in my fowlr with crabs, snails, and smaller fish. Never bothered anyone. Only thing is I never saw it dig, but that was mine don't know about all of them. Some eels will dig out spots under the rocks which can cause an avalanch.:rolleyes:

Darn it, see what you did; now you got me thinking of adding another to my reef this time around.:shhh:

Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Depends what size tank you have, and what you are willing to sacrifice.:teeth:

Zebra eel is beautiful, and reported to be reef safe! I had one in my fowlr with crabs, snails, and smaller fish. Never bothered anyone. Only thing is I never saw it dig, but that was mine don't know about all of them. Some eels will dig out spots under the rocks which can cause an avalanch.:rolleyes:

Darn it, see what you did; now you got me thinking of adding another to my reef this time around.:shhh:

I have a 90 gal tank
Sorry it wasn't intentional lol

Lol lucky are the reefers that have a healthy eel in their reef
It gives the tank a nice touch in my opinion

tomtoothdoc

GOLFER WANNABE
Rating - 100%
390   0   0

engineering goby is an easy snake looking alternative to an eel. they are hardier, will eat just about any food you give, less messy eater, and much cheaper than an eel. the main potential problem is that it digs (which the eels will also do)...usually right under the rocks. so if you placed the rocks on top of the sand vs. rocks in first then sand, you can very well get an avalanche.

watch the video at the bottom of the page....pretty cool looking fish.

http://www.aquariumslife.com/uncategorized/engineer-goby-pholidichthys-leucotaenia/

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I have had a black/blue ribbon eel for months.

They are not reef safe around all shrimp, I have none in my tank so I am OK with that. I do have a neon goby and the eel never goes after it or any other fish, YWG or my small mandarin goby.
It is vital to see it eat in the store before you agree to buy it. Make sure you see the eel swallow the food not just track it. I watched mine eat mysis in the store so I grabbed it. They are difficult to start feeding and the younger ones seem to have a better reputation starting to eat.
Once they eat you have a much better survival rate, but all fish fall into that category.
They love tunnels and feel safe when most of their body is concealed. They do swim around a couple times a day, mostly when the tank lights are off. I have mine in my 75 open top tank and never had a problem with this one.
They are communal and when I upgrade to a 150 I plan on creating some PVC tunnels under the substrate and may get another one.
This is my second one, the first was fatally injured by a large polyclad flatworm.

If you like eels but want something small and easier then look into a dwarf moray or white ribbon eel. Both are the same size and have better eating histories.

There are a lot of posts out there saying stay away. I think in the hands of a Manhattan Reefer this eel has a much better chance than in the tank of someone who walks in off the street.

Bry17nyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
engineering goby is an easy snake looking alternative to an eel. they are hardier, will eat just about any food you give, less messy eater, and much cheaper than an eel. the main potential problem is that it digs (which the eels will also do)...usually right under the rocks. so if you placed the rocks on top of the sand vs. rocks in first then sand, you can very well get an avalanche.

watch the video at the bottom of the page....pretty cool looking fish.

http://www.aquariumslife.com/uncategorized/engineer-goby-pholidichthys-leucotaenia/

Cool videos
Thanks
I was actually thinking about getting one but I've heard they make really big caves and sand will be everywhere
I have a couple of corals that are on the sand

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: