Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
My fluval 305 just isnt cutting it anymore. I'm thinking it's about time to upgrade to a real setup. I was referred to a guy who makes really sweet custom acrylic sumps. His prices are based upon the complexity of the sump, and since I'm a bit new to sumps so I'm not really sure what to ask for other than custom dimensions.

So far I know that I will need to have a section for protein skimming, a media basket, and a refugium. What are some other items I should ask for? All reccomendations welcome.

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I saw the one that NYReef has posted for $200 but unfortionately the dimensions wont fit into my stand. He actually referred me to the customizer that made his. I'm considering having a similar one made that is much narrower (about 9.5'' wide) but a litle bit longer.

I wil def go for a setup like what he has but was feeling the waters to see if anyone has some reccomendation on how to possibly improve on the design (although the design is pretty darn sweet).

For example, should there be a section for baffles, filter pads, etc?

NYReef

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks for the mention Scarf_ace1981, I did send Craig to the maker of my sump. I wanted mine a little larger and not for the stand which is too narrow and doesn't allow for a large enough refugium. I wanted the sump/refugium to be at least 1/3 the volume of my tank as adding just a few gallons won't be a difference maker. This sump will hold about 14 gallons which on the 30 cube will really help, plus the large refugium will afford good nutrient export. The stand for the Oceanic cube is kinda small for what I wanted to do, then there would be no room to move equipment in there.

druluv

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm not sure about your set-up, but I would recommend putting a hang on protein skimmer on the back of tank, and use a full ecosystem design in the sump. If you don't like hang-ons, then use the Aqua-c urchin. Urchin is a nice compact design with high performance.

Craig

120 Club Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Latest design version (stil a rough draft):
Rectangular shape. If you are looking at the sump straight on the skimmer compartment with a high flow drain will be on the left then 3 baffles, the return compartment in the middle and the fuge on the right dumping into the return compartmentwith protein skimming area on left. Protein skimming area will have two bulkheads to slow the flowgoing into a removablemedia basket.

Will use a cpr overflow.

How does this sound?

grisha

Rating - 100%
55   0   0
hey, how about hang on the fuge skimmer( in case when you utilizing hang onthe tank):scratchch
does the overflow need air aqualifter?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: