• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jmaquatic

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Hello MR friend as as some of you might know i upgraded and went from a 210 to a 340 gallon tank well due to issues i have not been able to get the 340 up and running and end up losing all my live stock ( fish, coral, ) any way now that everything died Im trying to come back bigger and better so the sump i have is a 80 gallon long and i think should run just fine with the 340 but like i said trying to make the setup even better then before. So my question is i was thinking of using my 210 gallon as my new sump as the saying goes more water volume the better only issue is that the 210 is a pre drilled tank how can i cover those holes and will the sump be to high to work with. Im trying to find out what would be all the pros and con's of making this move. Please give me your thoughts

Thanks

Jonathan

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
You can make it work, there are bulkheads mad just for that. Are the holes on the bottom of the tank or back? If on the bottom you might need to have room for the bulkheads on the bottom for clearance, it can be done though. You can also silicone in glass baffles to make sections in the sump, unless the tank is acrylic them you would go with acrylic baffles. A little more on the bulkhead, you can buy a threaded on and screw on a cap, use Teflon tape with this or you can take a bulkhead that is the slip kind and glue in a small piece of PVC pipe for that size bulkhead and then glue a cap onto that. Your bulkheads would be reversed though, so it would have the threads into the tank and not under/outside the tank. Your gasket would still be in the tank of course.

Last edited:

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
buy a threadxthread bulk head and put a pipe plug in it, i did it with my sump cause i only used 1 hole. if its drilled on bottom put flange on the outside that should give clearance just make sure, put a straight edge across the bottom, and see if it hits the flange.

jaa1456

MR's Greatest Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
buy a threadxthread bulk head and put a pipe plug in it, i did it with my sump cause i only used 1 hole. if its drilled on bottom put flange on the outside that should give clearance just make sure, put a straight edge across the bottom, and see if it hits the flange.

That's what I said, just a little clearer lol.

Yeah if its 6 feet, I would say having a 210 as a sump is too big, but that's all personal preference. Honestly it also depends on how you plan on running it. I got an external skimmer now and my sump has no purpose other than filter socks and rocks so if I had something smaller I wouldn't care. If you plan on running a lot of external equipment I really wouldn't suggest the 210. If you want everything in the sump or unless the tank and sump are on separate floors and you have a ton of space for the 210 then go for it.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Reefs

jcurry

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you going to access a 30" high sump under a tank? How much clearance will you have from the top of the sump to underside of the stand? Maintenance will be a total PITA, which means it won't get done very often.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: