Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Hey guys looking for some help with this product. I had ich show up on one of my fish yesterday so i put them all in QT and my lfs sold me this, but it doesnt have much info on the bottle for how long to use it. I could not find much about it online either. If anyone has used this could you help me with some info so i know what to do.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I have used it and I beleive it works great(unless you have a full reef and your skimmer amd pumps stop working therefore not getting any flow to your main tank). You use the suggested amount on the bottle. Just leave it and top off with regular top off water. It's supposed to kill a variety of ailments not just ich. It is copper but some say not as strong and not as harmful to your fish

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
I've only used it twice. 1 time I didn't re-dose. The second time I did. I use a 20 gallon so I took out approximately 5 gallons and replaced it with the .6ml of the copper power

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
First, you need to get a copper test kit, you can't treat with copper unless you're treating at the correct dosage and time, also too high of a level can kill the fish, so you need a copper test kit to check the level.

Start the dosage slowly and bring it up to 2.5 - 3.0 over a day or so. So now dose about 1/3 the recommend amount, then tomorrow morning another 1/3 and then in the evening, after checking the copper level, keep dosing until you bring it up to at least 2.5. You then need to treat for 2 weeks after the last spot you see on the fish. It's best to treat from 4 weeks.

The great thing about Copper Power is that you can treat at very high levels, almost 6.0, without stressing, or killing, the fish.

If you plan on treating them in a QT, which will now be a Hospital tank, you need to make sure you have bacteria media in there to control the ammonia and nitrites. Also, you don't want to feed that much if possible. When you do water changes you need to retest and make sure that you're still at least 2.5, otherwise the copper isn't going to work.

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
You want to bring it up slowly, as not to stress the fish out or hurt the biology filtration from the copper. In time you'll bring the copper up to tje level that is needed. Also, things in the tank will absorb the copper, so you most likely need to add more copper than the amount says on the bottle, this is also why you need a copper kit.

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I have a test kit and dosed some last night and some today and am near 2ppm now. So tommorrow i will does more to get to about 3ppm. I have a Bio wheel should i leave that in there cause i have taken it out for now. so 4 weeks of keeping the lvl @ over above 2.5ppm and if i do wc i need to check and re dose to the right ppm is that correct? Should i use prime for ammonia or should i just leave the bio wheel in and do water changes? Oh and no carbon right just filter pad?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
No carbon or any type of pad that may remove the copper. It depends on how many fish that you're treating and the size of the tank but the Bio wheel should have enough bacteria on it to handle the load, if not prime will help as will doing water changes. Just makes sure if you do a water change that the copper level stays above 2.5.

It's very important to treat at the correct level the whole time, as if you're below it doesn't work and too much can kill the fish. Copper Power does let you go higher than other coppers, so it's safer in that senses.

Odysi

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Im just using the filter pad that comes with the penguin bio wheel filter i just cut the carbon out if it. So ill put the Bio wheel back in to help with the load its only a 10g tank since i wast QTing 1 fish at a time but now there is 5 small juvi fish in there.

Robert

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help with Copper Power treatment

Today I will be treating fish in a 10g qt, what exactly is 2.5-3ppm of copper in a 10g (half a teaspoon? Even less than that?) I really don't want to kill my fish and am really bad at math. I have a Valentine Puffer (Toby), dartfish, and Clownfish. Hoping they can all withstand copper treatment.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: