Starting over but how to save my stuff - Page 2 - Reefs.com

Home  / Forums  / Global Forums  / Reefs for Beginners  /  Starting over but how to save my stuff
06-20-2016, 05:15 PM
Ten years on filter socks is very hard to believe. Washing them in the washing machine every 2 weeks is unbelievable. So glad i don't use socks any more

06-20-2016, 05:22 PM
I swap out my filter sock every 3-7 days. I have about six of them and wash them when I realize I just used my last clean filter sock. I prefer to use them because they grab larger particulate matter. If any sand ends up in my overflow it doesn't end up in my sump.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Agora Auctions, Inc. (Ancient, World and US coins & Antiquities)

06-20-2016, 05:40 PM
Yup, get why someone would use them, and they do help keep the water clear. I would just rather clean my sump once or twice a year, than changing filter socks every three days. Then washing them, and letting them dry. That mulm that forms in the sump is helpful anyway.
Knew a guy who was washing filter socks in washer with detergent for a year before someone told him otherwise. The funny thing about bleach or detergents is unless you have alot present you don't notice an issue, but that doesn't mean it's not causing some.
After decades in the hobby if there's one thing i learned is that everything that goes in has an effect on everything else. So i'd rather not take a chance on putting in anything when there's no need to, so i don't have to figure out weird problems and issues that could arise.
When i did run socks i found the best, as well as easiest way was to get a quality nozzle on a garden hose. Rinse it real well, and put it right back. No stinky socks in a bucket, no more laundry to do, and no chance of contaminants.
linky....http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-1...ture/index.php

Last edited by theMeat; 06-20-2016 at 05:43 PM.

06-20-2016, 08:23 PM
Yeah, useful article but completely irrelevant. Clorox is not chloramine. Chloramine is much more stable and does not gas out. Requiring the use of a dechlorinator.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Agora Auctions, Inc. (Ancient, World and US coins & Antiquities)

06-20-2016, 09:45 PM
You'r right, chlorine dissipates faster. It's good to get a bad thing out of your tank faster right? Or you could just not take a chance of putting any in.
Guess you missed the part about chlorine, which is bleach. And the part about how basically chloramines are a mix of chlorine and ammonia. Did you know ammonia can be found in aquariums? Did you ever see the effects of mixing clorine with ammonia? Umm, no, not in my tank, on any level

http://www.mwua.org/wp-content/uploa...ion_-_Dina.pdf

06-21-2016, 06:52 AM
Sorry bud I think your thread went sky high. Lol also by the state of cooking your rock is that you mix it with fresh water and muriactic acid 7-10 buck at Home Depot. Few min and you rock is done. Their are some good YouTube vibs out there just be extremely careful with that stuff. Oh you'll need lot of baking soda to neutralize the acid after your rock is done cooking. Hope this helps.

Last edited by iliriano; 06-21-2016 at 06:57 AM.

06-25-2016, 03:49 PM
For filter socks I would clean them under hot water by hand then I would dip them in non scented bleach and let them soak.. Drain and dip in R/O Water then let bake in the sun. It only takes a few hours and I never had one issue.