• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MightyMike

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do you think? :scratchch

I'm looking for lighting for my 120, need something 48" and was hoping to find a fixture that would be as "all-in-one" as possible. (Isn't eveybody?) I'm planning to use something along the lines of 2 X 400w MH (maybe 14k) and 2 X 110?w VHO. Not sure if the MH would be DE or SE; any input would be really appreciated. The plan is to keep mostly softies and LPS with the occasional SPS? clam? anemone? So, that being said, I found this on Amazon and a website. I don't know why, but it seems fishy? http://www.aquauniverse.com/compone...product_id,1088/option,com_phpshop/Itemid,31/

Has anyone worked with AquaUniverse before? and does this lighting seem like a step in the right direction? Thanks everyone

MightyMike

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Moidol,
You suggest going with T5 instead of the VHO becuase ... you just think it's better lighting? more appropriate for what you keep? which is? Could you change ballasts, so as to avoid keeping a fan on one? thanks

MO~IDOL

I Work Hard For Color!
Vendor
Rating - 100%
643   0   0
Moidol,
You suggest going with T5 instead of the VHO becuase ... you just think it's better lighting? more appropriate for what you keep? which is? Could you change ballasts, so as to avoid keeping a fan on one? thanks

I've great grow with T5. and it save energies more bulb color choice, T5 54w It's brighter than VHO 110w to me...
yes you can change ballasts but I didn't feel the needs

scumonkey

Goniopora isn't VD!
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I got my 2- 250w 10k MH w/ 2 -90w super actinics setup from AU as well...NEVER had the ballast overheat?!?
Are you sure you didn't just get a lemon?
I find the units to be fairly well made (for the price).
The only real problems with AU is the CA MH reefgrow lights they use- they SUX! The Actinics are quite nice
I went through 4 CA Reefgrow MH bulbs in 3 months- never again! The colour is also uneven from bulb to bulb!
They kept sending me the wrong bulbs and, their customer service also SUX!
I just popped in some XM's from http://www.hellolights.com/ and they work perfectly fine in the unit- firing up first time & faster than the Ca bulbs it came with!

Last edited:

MightyMike

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I'm drooling over this Sfiligoi pendant 48" on Aquariumobsessed.com

Soleset HQI with T5, Moonlights, Fan and External Ballast

This fixture includes:

* 2 x 250w MH
* 4 x 24w T5
* Moonlights
* 2 x 250w Ballast
* Your Choice of 10K or 14K Bulb

Which I think looks great, and would offer the options I was looking for in bulbs. It's on the expensive side, so I'm asking MR fam to come through with some links and ideas for similar fixtures, pref pendants w/ legs for a hood-less set-up, with high quality lighting.

Gally, I looked at the Maristar fixture, it seems nice, but I'm too new and can't tell the difference in quality. What's in your tank ?

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mari star fixture are top of the line !!!

you can go with a tek t5 lighting if you dont want MH .I answered you PM .if you want to talk about price ,feel free to contct me

Ronen

Last edited by a moderator:

GQ22

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I have a maristar and am pretty happy wiith it. The components are all high grade. Bulbs, ballast, reflector, etc..

I recommend Maristar for all in one unit.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
Mike, for the types of corals you listed I don't see the need for you to spend the money for electricity for 400w MH's. 250w MH's would be just fine for you.

The Maristar is a beautiful fixture, well made and very efficient. Be aware it comes with a ballast for the T5 component. The ballast for the MH's needs to be purchased separately.

If you decide on the Maristar you will be getting one of the top of the line combination fixtures out there.

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: