• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

shawn114

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have algae eating crab's and when they shed their skins sort of speak, what kind of critters will eat this type of stuff if you can't remove it cause of all the live rock?

ChrisRD

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about it if you can't get to it. The old shell left behind when a crab or shrimp molts will eventually break down and dissolve and/or be eaten by something. Won't do any harm to leave it in there...

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Chris. There are many natural detrivores found in sand and live rock that will process this nutrient. Some clean-up critters like sea cucumbers and fighting conches can help mop up debris, but I found they aren't necessary for a healthy tank. Some starfish also are good detrivores, but the problem with most stars is they are very sensitive to water conditions and therefore aren't very hardy.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing to my knowledge will eat them(the molted exoskeletons) i guess you can pull them out..they usually seem to dissolve after time..i have seen my choco chip starfish eat the molted shell of my emerald crab..

psiico

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't the crabs themselves nibble at them? As a source of iodine like shrimp? Or is that only shrimp?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well IME ive never seen any of my hermits or emerald crab or shrimp eat the molted exoskeletons... Welcome psiico to Reefs.org :D

psiico

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome. I haven't noticed anyone eating the shells either, but they do get broken up. I usually leave them in there for a couple of days in case someone is eating it. By the time I remove them they're scattered around in pieces.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: