Lolli631

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am sure some people here use NSW. If so, how do you collect it? Do you go down to the beach or do you take a boat offshore and collect there?
Are there any advantages to using NSW compared to RO/DI and a salt mix?

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
I use NSW in my 6gal nano FOWLR, in my office at work. So far so good, after 8 months, and in a 6gal tank there is not that much room for error.
I collect water in the bay in port washington.
My advice is to collect water where there is good water movement, Stay away from still water.
When you collect, use something like a gallon water jug and put it under the water with the cap on and take off the cap under water. This way if there is any petroleum products floating on the surface, you wont pick it up.
Im kid of a newbie, but you should check out PaulB's threads and articles.
He has been using NSW for 38 years in the same tank.

grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
NSW :eek: !!!!!!!

All kidding aside , you might also want to ask Bob1000. He uses the water from Arthur Kill Bay here on the Island. I have seen his tank and everything is thriving.
I personally wouldn't attempt it. To much time and $$$ invested in corals in my tank to take the chance.JMO

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
In the back of my head I think the same way as you. But of all the things people experiment with in this hobby, it seem crazy not to try trhis, since we are all surrounded by saltwater around here.
And its hard to blow off 38 years of PaulB using the stuff in the same successful tank. JMO

Isn't the water off Long Island a little too 'murky' to use in a tank that houses tropical sw fish and corals?

Will C

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
the clarity of the water depends on where you go, I have not yet used NSW but I would go to the Fire Island Inlet - maybe near the Sore Thumb (a fisherman would know this spot). I can say that as you get closer to the inlet from the bay the propwash from the motor gets amazingly clear. I have caught (and released) striped bass that I have seen in 20' of water. The water quality is not the problem - the problem is transporting enough for a decent water change. I figure my (soon to be setup) 90 w/ sump & fuge of 50 will need a minimum of 25/30 gallons per w/c - how do I get this much, transport (w/o ruining my car) and get it to the tank all before lunch?

Will C

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
It is actually easier to make your own, NSW is for the hardcore purist, glutton for punishment - a real Mets fan! - Lets go Sox, Lets go Rays - anybody but the Phillies

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
It comes out a little murky, but this is what it looks like after about 2 hours. Just make sure you run carbon, I think it makes a difference.
Sorry For The Bad Pics
6galnano001.jpg

6galnano004.jpg

Well, Im not saying it doesnt work... but how do you get the water clear? I mean even if you pick up a bucketfull of it, its still not usually crystal clear.

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
yea and if we all did it there would be no water left for our world stop being lazzzy and make your own

Im sorry... was this a joke? Cuz if not, you have really left me dumbfounded... You dont actually think that your faucet is a magical tap to a neverending plethora of liquid gold, do you? Last I checked, it all comes from the same, non Harry Potter's world place. :lol2:

And btw Chemchef, thanks for the pictures. Nice to see that it actually can work and does clear up. Very cool!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: