• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

petlover516

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everybody! as a present for moving up to middle school, my mom has been very kind and promised me a 28gal HQI NanoCube by JBJ, (the 1 with the metal halides). im always interested in making sure that ive done enough research. for fish stocking i was planning:
-1 citron clown goby
-2 onyx clowns
-1 blue assessor
-1 orchid dottyback?-not sure if it will mix well with the assessor

for corals:
leather coral
zoanthids
'shrooms

as u guys might know ive already gotten the basics of SW down, so its really just the OD+BA?

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
1 blue assessor
-1 orchid dottyback?-not sure if it will mix well with the assessor these 2 might pose a problem and what do you plan to do to keep tank cool ? those run warm with the fixture, and congrats

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
You don't really need the HQI for your stock list. I would only get the HQI if I were keeping SPS Corals or Clams.

You can just get a standard 28g Nanocube.

The only problems that are potentially there as mentioned are the Blue Assessor and the Orchid Dottyback. I believe both are in the Basslet class of fish.

Good Luck

petlover516

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
o i forgot to mention -i know they don't need it but IMO a tank looks more "natural" when clownfish have it-i will be adding a small kind of anemone to host the clowns. i was also planning on a clam of somesort and maybe even a few of the hardier types of sps. so if i can't go with a dottyback, is there any smaller type of purple and/or green fish that will mix well with the original plan? or i might throw of the assessor and go with some type of blue/green fish. which is better? assessor or dottyback? according to what ive reasearched assessors are better in a nanoreef, but i want the hobbyist's opinon!:)

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
hey,

congrats on the present. my 2 cents...

1. As another member stated, these tanks run very hot (or at lest mine does). make sure you have a plan to deal with it.
2. orchid dottybacks (even the tankbred fridmani's) are nasty fish IMO.
3. clown gobies will probably nip at sps if you ever go that route (if not, then no need at all for the halide).
4. adding any anemone to a small tank is not a great idea, unless you are ok with it potentially killing your corals and eating your fish (including the $100+ assessor). and then never stay small ;)
5. the assessors kind of live in and around the rocks, same habitat as the gramma loreto and most pseudochromis. there isnt a lot of room in a 28 gal tank for them to stay out of eachothers way.

ok, hope that helps and good luck wiht the tank

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Congrats on your promotion.

Your tank will be awesome. Friend had same tank with MH. Great setup. I would keep the MH because it will give you more flexibility later on.

You sound on to a great start.

Best of luck.

petlover516

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually i decided i didn't need MH's so im going with a 40 breeder-nice and wide. ive changed up the list of fish:
-2 true onyx percula clownfish-tank-bred
-1 orchid dottyback-tank-bred
-1 citron clown goby
-1 cleaner shrimp
-1 stark's damsel
-1 flame hawkfish
-20 hermit crabs
-1 rose anemone

my mom says she'll get the tank and the stand. the nanoreef wouldve been $460, including tax, so its good for her. though putting in the skimmer wouldve been nice...

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
>>-2 true onyx percula clownfish-tank-bred
-1 citron clown goby
-1 cleaner shrimp
-1 stark's damsel
-1 flame hawkfish
-20 hermit crabs
-1 rose anemone>>

I think your fish load can possibly be on the heavy side. Let me explain. Nitrates and Phosphates are not good for corals. Now I only see an anemone. However, for myself, once I got my bio load down to very low, I never had a problem with my parameters again.

PS. My flame hawkfish proudly killed my cleaner shrimp with in a couple of days. So I would either swap out the hawkfish or the shrimp. Your flame hawk may be okay, just saying what happened to me.

Good luck,

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
actually i decided i didn't need MH's so im going with a 40 breeder-nice and wide. ive changed up the list of fish:
-2 true onyx percula clownfish-tank-bred
-1 citron clown goby
-1 cleaner shrimp
-1 stark's damsel
-1 flame hawkfish
-20 hermit crabs
-1 rose anemone

my mom says she'll get the tank and the stand. the nanoreef wouldve been $460, including tax, so its good for her. though putting in the skimmer wouldve been nice...

You will need to consider either a canopy or a cover for this tank with the mix of fish you have there. A few of them are notorious jumpers.

I'd also be concerned about the hawk and cleaner shrimp - he would be a meal for the Hawk. I've kept Hawkfish with Banded Coral shrimp successfully as long as the shrimp is larger than the Hawk from the get-go, you should be fine.

petlover516

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok than i'll go with a catalina goby and replace the citron with a canary damsel, also removing the starkii. than i will have a nice 6 inches off the bioload is that good?

jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Middle school = 6th grade? If so, I'm impressed with the amount of thought and research you are putting into this. Would put many older reefers to shame.

jrobbins

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Middle school = 6th grade? If so, I'm impressed with the amount of thought and research you are putting into this. Would put many older reefers to shame.

+1 to that. there are way too few people who take the time to really plan out a tank. its good to see you are trying to figure this out before you start throwing salt in a tank ;)

anyway, as for my humble opinion of the latest revision of the stocking list...

2 onyx clownfish - cool fish, and tank bred too. really nice in this sized tank i think
1 orchid dotty-back - very aggressive fish. might eat your shrimp too, even a coral banded...
3 green chromis - they are cool fish, but always seem to kill each other off until there is only one left...
1 flame angel - maybe a little big for this sized tank. if you are set on an angel you could get an cherub angel (C. argi).
1 midas blenny - love that fish :)

even so, thats a lot of fish in a small tank. maybe just start with the clowns and a blenny and see how things go?

PurpleTang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
+1 to that. there are way too few people who take the time to really plan out a tank. its good to see you are trying to figure this out before you start throwing salt in a tank ;)

anyway, as for my humble opinion of the latest revision of the stocking list...

2 onyx clownfish - cool fish, and tank bred too. really nice in this sized tank i think
1 orchid dotty-back - very aggressive fish. might eat your shrimp too, even a coral banded...
3 green chromis - they are cool fish, but always seem to kill each other off until there is only one left...
1 flame angel - maybe a little big for this sized tank. if you are set on an angel you could get an cherub angel (C. argi).
1 midas blenny - love that fish :)

even so, thats a lot of fish in a small tank. maybe just start with the clowns and a blenny and see how things go?
+1 to that :splitspin

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: