• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

BoostFeen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Hey everyone i just bought a 36" Aquactinics TX5 T5HO fixture. The fixture has 5 bulbs.The bulbs include 1 Giesseman Midday 6000K, 1 UVL Super Actinic, 2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 UVL Aquasun. Now my question is which bulbs are to be turned on first and which should be turned on later in the day. Any help will be gladly appreciated thanx.

mr_X

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most try to mimic the natural day by putting the blue bulbs on first, then fire up the daylights then power off the daylights after 8 hours or so, and keep the blues on for another period.
i have my lighting on a 12 hour schedule- actinics on for 2, then come daylights on for 8, then daylights go off, then actinics go off 2 hours later.

i would think you have the blue plus, and the super actinic on one switch, and the rest on the other.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
Thanx everyone for the info. So the actinics stay on basically 12 hours a day and the daylights on for only 8.

NO, that is just one scenario.

I've been running T5's for almost eight years. Your coral will tell you what to run. You have sps? LPS? Softies? Mix? No SPS at all?

I have no sps, just LPS and softies. I run my T5's:

8 hrs for actinic
6 hrs for daylights

You shouldn't be running your light based on someone else's schedule. You don't know what type of fixture they have either.

Russ

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
Oh okay I didn't know that. Well I have lps's, softies and anemonies. I might get some sps down the road but I doubt it. So is 8 and 6 the best schedule for me??

Sounds good to me. I have three RBTA's in my tank as well with that light schedule. If it seems like it's too much or too little the animals will not perish. You can see the changes (if any) and make the necessary adjustment. I think you'll be ok though.

Russ

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Make sure your corals respond well. I am still keeping a watchful eye on mine since the switch from MH to T5. For the most part everything is doing well but a few pieces got grumpy on me. Also make sure your bulbs stay in the proper spectrum. As soon as you see changes like extremely quick algae buildups you need to check the bulbs and the parameters.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
450   2   0
Russ thank you so much I really appreciate your help on this.

My pleasure. I've loved my T5's. I was one of the first users in the USA when they were finally brought to this side of the puddle. Believe me, not #1 or even #100, but eight years is close to the beginning of life here in the US for T5's.

Best of luck with them. I'm sure you'll like them even more than I do. When I first started there was a 'choice' of one actinic bulb. It took about 3 years before we finally had a choice between two. :lol2:

R

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: