• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I would like to know where can I go to learn how to start a 55g saltwater tank?, also is there anywhere in the city that just deals with fish??

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Go listen to the 3rd. episode of "Afishionado". Then come back and ask away.;)
You'll find "Afishionado" button on the front page to the left right under the Market button.;)

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
Well I have three freshwater tanks but never dome a saltwater one , I would like to know what would be best to use for a 55g tank in ,filter ,substrate,light , I really want just fish but i would love to setup a small reef in it too ..

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want just fish but i would love to setup a small reef in it too ..

Well you have to decide that you can't have a "small reef" I mean.. You can but the point I'm trying to make is theirs many factors with keeping Corals, Its also more money. Theirs special lighting, test kits, just various expenses. There are 3 types of setups (I'm fairly new to this hobby so 30 year marine biologist guys feel free to sit me down) Fish Only, Fish Only with Live Rock or Reef. A 55 gallon is kinda an awkward size for Saltwater, Its a bit too small to move onto large angels and tangs and stuff like that, If you already have the tank you could still make a nice reef in a 55 Gallon. You need to do your research man, Decide what kinda tank you want. If your really on a budget, This might not be the hobby for you although it is possible to make something simple out of a Fish Only 55Gallon but since you can't keep alot of the beautiful fish people keep in Fish Only setups your better off with a reef imo

Dont use Crushed Coral as a substrate, The LFS's are liar evil people oh and don't get a canister filter.. I have one and I disconnected it and have been advised to just use a Protein Skimmer ( I have a Reef Octopus BH100SS HOB) and Live Rock in my 29 Gallon reef.

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
well, it will depend on the types of coral u may want..bc that will make the difference in lighting... fish only with live rock will be your easiest bet and way to start so you can ease into it..your live rock and deep sand bed does alot of the bio filtration.. you will need a good protein skimmer and a decent carbon reactor for water clarity..as far as lighting i would get a t5 light setup bc this way your fish will have awsome coloring and if you decide to get some coral youll be ok.. also do u plan on running a sump/refuguim??? is your tank drilled for drains(reef ready/rr)? was this tank used for fresh water? and if so did you ever use and chemicals for issues(like ick cure or any other copper based additives?)bc they get absorbed into the silicone and may cause issues with coral..

hope this info helps.. and youll get tons of other people on here giving you advice, theyre the best.. the best way to prepare is to READ READ READ, theres tons of threads abt different setups and different equiptment.. everyone does something a lil different then the next.. so once youve done your reasearch and asked as many questions as you can possibly think of, the desision comes down to what YOU want to do.. and what fits in your budget..but sounds like your off to a good start with the right questions..good luck and well be following your thread to see how you do.. and take lots of pics along the way!!!

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
Thanks guys this is a good place to start ...okay I'm going with a "fish and live rock only setup" since all I want is two small fish and a shrimp ,lol...but imma keep reading and asking i might be ready by June I want to make shure I get this right. :)

fish keeper 7

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
one piece of advice, if you dont know EXACTLY what your doing when you start and find out everything you will need, youll wind up wasting a lot of money and buying a lot of stuff you will want to upgrade when you learn. i did that when i started. i bought a lot of stuff i wind u never using anymore.

Manhatta reefs is a greaaaat way to start and just googling any question you have along with asking in the forums.

go on youtube and look at tank videos and "how to" stuff.

this site makes it real easy to lear real quick. i wish i started here a year and 6 months ago when i got obsessed with the hobby.

good luck and happy reefing.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Since you already seem to have the tank then the first major piece of equipment to consider would be a protien skimmer.

You have two choices, Hang On Back or a sump based skimmer.

Do you have a sump on the 55?
Do you want a sump?
I prefer a sump to hide all my junk. But there are good HOB skimmers out there.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Hey just a note- It may cost you a little now but it will be worth it in the end---- Decide what equipment you want to have on your system after researching. If you want to run a sump-put A LOT of thought into the design and ask a million questions BEFORE you even start buying the supplies- or go with a custom king sump...you can never go wrong with him I believe he will design it how you ask and if he does he will recommend any changes that will benefit you.

If you want a skimmer- dont get the cheapest one- or even one up from the cheapest one. Wait and save and buy an UPPER MIDDLE OF THE ROAD skimmer- that way youll be happy with its performance until you have real heavy bioload and you will have set enough money aside along the way for future upgrades and then can purchase a better one- but you may never have to do that since you didnt buy a P.O.S in the first place.

Also dont upgrade equipment just because the latest and the greatest that hits the market since the time that you bought all your stuff- this hobby is like computers, every 6 months to a year some new technology comes out that may make yours seem outdated- well its not if it still works perfectly fine for you-- dont upgrade or replace unless you need to or youll have a small to mid sized fortune worth of dusty equipment in a closet and youll be trying to recoop all the money you spent that you didnt need to.

Just My Opinion and welcome to the hobby.

Last edited:

fish keeper 7

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
do not be afraid to ask anything and everything you dont know or think you need to know. ill get around to it tonight but i will post some links to some really good information that helped me out when i was starting and ill post some stuff i WISH i knew when i first started. its a little overwhelming at times but just take it slow and do it right the first time or try to to save yourself a lot of money =]

Og Drogon

Freshwater monster
Rating - 94.1%
32   2   0
Well right now I am going to wait and give it to like June and see cause I really need to learn alot and I mean alot more,the only thing I am shure of is that I want two clown fish and a red skunk shrimp lolz...I'm not much into the BIG reef like yah ,well not yet :) so I want to learn what it takes to keep two clown fish and a shrimp happy.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 55 gallon, You can do more than that man but definitely post here if your unsure of something POST HERE, Plenty of people here sell live rock when they take down tanks thats fully cured and all that good stuff and NEVER EVER listen to the LFS, I mean it, No matter how nice, They have a tendency to be retarded or just smart about taking YOUR MONEY.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: