• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
+1 75 gallon. 55 are too narrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Couldn't agree more. You could do a lot more with a 75g, the width of the 55g kinda limits your aquascaping abilities. And if you don't want that large of a tank you could do amazing things with a 40 breeder. The market place here on MR is the best place to buy from other members or our great vendors. Good Luck! :)

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
yea I duno why everyone hates on the 55 you can rock out any tank if you do it right. Someone said too high and too narrow 75 is the same height I believe the 50 breeder is also..65 is 3" taller. It's really personal preference guys if the guy wants a 55 then let him do it jeez. Anytime someone mentions a 55 everyone pounces lol

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
yea I duno why everyone hates on the 55 you can rock out any tank if you do it right. Someone said too high and too narrow 75 is the same height I believe the 50 breeder is also..65 is 3" taller. It's really personal preference guys if the guy wants a 55 then let him do it jeez. Anytime someone mentions a 55 everyone pounces lol

IMO, its nothing about the height. Its the front to back limitation. You end up with a rock wall or just rock pile.
I also recommend going with a 75 because its the same dimensions as a 55, but 50% more depth in front to back.

TRIGGERMAN

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
172   0   0
a 55 is a foot deep not 5 inches lol you can do plenty go look at my pics in my profile at my 45 african tank that is 12 deep 24 high and I think there is also a pic of my 55 w/ custom cabinet/canopy look at my sick aquascaping and tell me it sucks. Maybe his space is limited so a narrower tank might be a better option for him. 55 is actually the most purchased tank next to a 10 gallon.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
IMO, its nothing about the height. Its the front to back limitation.
Ming ,i know it has nothing to do with the height that's my personal opinion .A 55 gal was the first tank i bought in 1995 the damn thing is 48Lx12Wx21H it's too height for the width IMO.12Wx21H.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
More advanced reefers go for tanks with more surface area for better oxygen exchange especially at high water temperature .

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
The 55 is the most bought tank because it's the most sold. If more people bought 75 then places would order more and the price point would go down on the 75.
With reef tanks you need a good horizontal dimension because light needs to get to all your coral. Get a 55 and you have a narrow place to display coral. With added width you have so many more possibilities.
Not needed as much in a fish only situation, but those would look Better to.
The increased surface area for O2 exchange is very important not to mention 20 more gallons of volumetric efficiency.
It seems criminal to make a case for a 55. IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: