• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

raetrosclair

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I’m new to the board (well, not actually – I’ve been reading for a while and decided it was time to join) and wanted to share my tank with everyone. The tank is a 110-gallon tall tank. It was set up in May of 2005 as my husband’s project. He used to work in a fish store doing aquarium maintenance, and since all I had managed to do in terms of my fish career was to kill a few beta fish, the tank was to be his responsibility. We added our first fish at the end of July after the awful mess of cycling and curing our live rock. But even before the fish were in the tank, I had fallen in love with the hobby.

Everyone knows what happened at the end of August – Katrina. Luckily we only lost power for a day and were able to keep the tank running with a car battery. We suffered no losses, but after the storm my husband decided to go back to working offshore – which meant the tank had a new parent – me.

Since then, the tank (now a year and seven months old) has flourished. I have upgraded everything from the sump to the lighting, and I must say Josh (the hubby) is impressed (and maybe a little jealous, lol). The SPS, LPS, and soft corals are showing amazing growth and coloration. Some of the SPS, such as the birdsnest, started off as 1/2 inch frags. And I am absolutely addicted. I handle all of the maintenance of the tank, except for large water changes. Between law school and working for an environmental law organization, I read everything about the hobby I can get my hands on.

I hope you enjoy the pictures of the tank. I love getting feedback and constructive criticism is more than welcome :) I’m sure you will be hearing more from me, as I am about to set up a 40-gallon anemone tank for a mated pair of black and white percs, and I thus far have very little knowledge about anemone tanks. I know I will have plenty of questions!

Cheers,
Melissa

Attachments

• Aquarium 005.jpg
    Aquarium 005.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 1,764
  • Aquarium 002.jpg
    Aquarium 002.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 1,765
  • Aquarium 004.jpg
    Aquarium 004.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 1,763

raetrosclair

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few more pics

Attachments

• Picture 039.jpg
    Picture 039.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 1,759
  • Fish tank 003.jpg
    Fish tank 003.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 1,764
  • Aquarium 012.jpg
    Aquarium 012.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 1,762
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks real nice, I had a 110 tall (48x18x30) at one point in time, but yours looks different dims than mine was.

shavo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first thing is great job looks pretty damn cool to me, I have a question what kind of fish was in the last pic between the coral beauty and the foxfave? It was a brownish looking fish.
thanks

still hanging around here norton huh?

raetrosclair

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the comments!

Shavo, the brownish fish is a sleeper banded goby - and one of the worst decisions that we made with the tank. He does a great job sifting the sand; the problem is that he grabs a mouthful, brings it to the top of the tank, then sifts it all over everything. He definately won't be making the transition whenever we upgrade to a larger tank- he'll be taking a vacation to the LFS :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: