A

Anonymous

for discus :D

the mopani wood is still leaching out tannins (and will be for awhile :) )

crypt lutea, wendtii, corckscrew val, apon ulvacea, sword, anubias, and java fern

currenlty housing a pair of blue bolivian rams

discus should be in here by sept :)

Attachments

• new 45.JPG
    new 45.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 233
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monday evening, i added the first dithers/fills for the tank (discus will be added last)

a trio of pearl gouramis, dozen rummynoses, 7 bickford's pencilfish, and 3 dwarf clown plecos (heniancistrus)

this evening, about 7 p.m., the bickford's began spawning (sorry for the fuzzy pics-i wasn't about to start cleaning the glass :P)

Attachments

• bickfordspawnmosaic.JPG
    bickfordspawnmosaic.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 209
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great, Vita. I love the tall tanks. One of my favorite was a 20 extra tall.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i hate them-most are waay to shallow from front to back to allow any reasonably decent aquascaping, and for discus especially, they suck (the wild greens i have on 'reserve' will barely be able to turn around fully w/out hitting the front or back glass-but they'll eventually be going into the main show tank-a 56 corner bowfront :) )

this one was free though ;)

the pearl gouramis came in with columnaris, what seems to be a VERY fast developing strain-alot of the fish that come in from one of our main suppliers arrive with the protozoan already manifesting itself on the exterior, and i've found quite a few species coming in with true hexamita, heh)-i treated them too late, and lost them, along w/most of the bickfords, and 1/2 of the rummynoses

the good news is that the zap i gave the tank (used a VERY strong dose of 'fmc', after moving the plants to a plastic bag for 2 days, followed by a 90% wc and carbon) stopped it from wiping everything out-the spawning pair of bickfords survived, along w/6 rummynoses, and the 3 dwarf clown plecos-and now everyone's clean, eating, and coloring up nicely

i rescaped a tad, and moved some of the plants, along with some of the eco-complete flourite bed to a 36 bowfront i also acquired as a freebie

the 45 will have just the ulvaceus, crypt. wendtii,java fern, and corckscrew val (the crypt and the val should be enough to fill in the tank quite nicely

the sword, anubias, and crypt. lutea are now in the 36 bow

the pearls will be replaced this week, and i'm hoping to have the 1st discus in by mid august :)

pics will soon follow

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, the new light's finally here-a current usa 2x96 watt pc-i had bought one dual daylight to replace the dual actinic bulb it has by default, and when i got it open, found both of the original pc's broken in itsy bitsy pieces, along w/a nice ding in internal reflector-at least i had one bulb to replace-heh-today i added another 96 watt dual daylight bulb (6700/10000k)

the trio of pearls are in, 4 bickford's have been added as of yesterday, along w/some nice ammannia senegalensis-a kewl red bunch plant to contrast the ulvaceus, and the browns and greens of the crypt wendti 'sunset',plus a ruby red sword (the new leaves are coming out red :) )

i added the 4 nice 5" wild blue haraldis i've been ogling for about 2 months (couldn't wait any longer, heh)-which, though still not truly settled in, began eating small pellets about an hour after plopping them into the tank

i put some more pellets in to get 'em to 'wake up' a tad and swim about, to take some pics-the water is still abit hazy-once it clears completely, i'll try and snag some well lit shots of the bickfords, which are continually pairing off and spawning, along w/some better closeups of the pearls, and dwarf clown plecos

for LD the tagalong ;) :P :

Attachments

• haraldi3a.JPG
    haraldi3a.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 159
  • haraldi2a.JPG
    haraldi2a.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 159
  • haraldi1a.JPG
    haraldi1a.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 158
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always wanted a discus tank! Thanks for the pics Vitz 8) everything looks good so far.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some of the other denizens...

this has always been one of my favorite loricarids-the (dwarf) clown 'pleco' (actually a peckoltia, most likely 'L170') there are 3 in the tank, and will max out at a TL of app4-4.5"

Attachments

• clownpleco4a.JPG
    clownpleco4a.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 131
  • clownpleco5a.JPG
    clownpleco5a.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 132
  • clownpleco6a.JPG
    clownpleco6a.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 133
A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of the two pairs of gold rams-this pair decided to spawn today, directly on the 'dark flourish' substrate-you can see the amber eggs on the 'gravel' grains directly below the pair...

Attachments

• goldramspawn8a.JPG
    goldramspawn8a.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 117
  • goldramspawn6a.JPG
    goldramspawn6a.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 118
  • goldramspawn4a.JPG
    goldramspawn4a.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 117

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: