Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey All. New to the forum and wanted to say a big hello. :cheers:

Just started my first SW tank about a week ago. Decided on the Red Sea Max 130D as it seemed to be a great all in one unit, plus it had a small footprint which was ideal for my overpriced studio apt. So far I've added RO/DI water, salt, sand and 25lb of live rock from Jaws2.

IMG_0306.jpg

Thinking I may be light on rock, wanted to get some opinions. Also, wanted to get any recommendations on where the best place to go for live rock around Manhattan.

Cheers

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
As of last night:

Sal - 1.026
Temp - 78
Ammonia - .25
Nitrite - .1
Nitrate - 2.5
Cal - 450
Alk - 3meq

Starting to get the dreaded brown algae bloom and some green hair, been trying to clean it off the glass with the magfloat and changing my filter floss almost daily. Hoping to get Ammonia and Nitrite down to 0, and then doing water changes to get Nitrates down.

Still pondering getting more live rock. Also, is it too early to put in a clean up crew?

Cheers :beer:

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
As of last night:

Sal - 1.026
Temp - 78
Ammonia - .25
Nitrite - .1
Nitrate - 2.5
Cal - 450
Alk - 3meq

Starting to get the dreaded brown algae bloom and some green hair, been trying to clean it off the glass with the magfloat and changing my filter floss almost daily. Hoping to get Ammonia and Nitrite down to 0, and then doing water changes to get Nitrates down.

Still pondering getting more live rock. Also, is it too early to put in a clean up crew?

Cheers :beer:

Too early to put anything in there. Let the algae blooms happen. Don't mess with it tip your cycle is over.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
very nice! good luck!!. i like the less rock look. its a pain in the ass with too much rock.

I agree, kinda like the uncluttered look with my current arrangement. Also leaves more room for corals =). My only worry is that I don't have enough surface area for bacteria to colonize on. I've removed the Bio media that came with the tank, as others have told me that it will trap debris and turn into an ammonia factory.

Cheers

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
I agree, kinda like the uncluttered look with my current arrangement. Also leaves more room for corals =). My only worry is that I don't have enough surface area for bacteria to colonize on. I've removed the Bio media that came with the tank, as others have told me that it will trap debris and turn into an ammonia factory.

Cheers
I would add more rock, you don't have to go crazy with it but it will help with good bacteria growth and also natural filtration. Smart move taking the Bio media out, with live rock and sand there really is no need for it. Looks like your off to a great start just take your time.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would add more rock, you don't have to go crazy with it but it will help with good bacteria growth and also natural filtration. Smart move taking the Bio media out, with live rock and sand there really is no need for it. Looks like your off to a great start just take your time.

Thanks for the input Lenny! Patience has never been a virtue of mine, but I'm finding that this hobby is slowly forcing me out of my bad habits. :sgrin:

Regarding the rock, could I get away with adding some simple base rock instead? If not, any recommendations on where to find good live rock in and around manhattan? I've checked a few LFSs and the selection has been pretty weak. Is ordering online the way to go?

Cheers

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If you can I would add Live Rock Rubble to the chamber that your bio media was in that way you have more LR but you dont have to put it in the display area. I recently took those stupid bio balls out of the 29gal bio cube that we have in the office I work in.... put the LRR back there along with some chaeto and a cheapo light from Lowes. Tank is doing alot better!!!!

Lenny718

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Glad I could help Johan. Base rock is fine, it will just take longer to become "live". If you want live rock I would look in the market place here on MR, there are always members selling live rock and you will be able to pick out your own pieces something you cant do when buying online. Good Luck!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: