• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

TommyBoy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for feedback fromthose reefers who have ordered the 9 for 99 at jeffs. I looking for small corals to populate a new 15 ga reef and was thinking this might be the good way to go. Tank has been up and running for month with a cleanup crew and is ready for goodies.
Also my LFS tells me to fill tank with corals first before adding any fish. Is that the general consensis here?Any help or comments greatly appriciated.

Joe Kelley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9 for 99 is a really good deal. You might go slower. That is not a big tank. The corals can be big. Tell Jeff what you are doing and he will help you. HTH
Joe

TommyBoy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree Joe. Do you think that 9 corals would be to much for that size of tank?
How much did you pay for shipping and box fees for your 9 for 99 order? Also my LFS tells me that you can load your tank up with
corals as fast as you want as long as tank params. are correct. he says you need to go real slow with fish though.... Agree???

2poor2reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got nine sps frags in my 15 and I'm going to have to cut it down to five. Depending on the coral, growth is going to kill you with 9 in a 15.

TommyBoy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree Joe. Do you think that 9 corals would be to much for that size of tank?
How much did you pay for shipping and box fees for your 9 for 99 order? Also my LFS tells me that you can load your tank up with
corals as fast as you want as long as tank params. are correct. he says you need to go real slow with fish though.... Agree???

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TommyBoy--go for it, because it's just a matter of time before you'll be upgrading to a larger tank!
icon_smile.gif

My LFS has also told me the same thing about loading up with corals. While you can get away with it, I wouldn't recommend it. First, it's an awful lot to keep up with. When I add a new coral, it takes several weeks for me to "get to know" it. For example, when I see a coral closed up for the first time, I worry, and it takes a while for me to learn how that particular specimen is going to behave in my tank. It seems that if I add them one at a time, it becomes much easier and less stressful to become familiar with the new addition.

Also, some corals can interact negatively on a chemical basis, especially softies. The stress of shipping can increase the amount of chemical activity exhibited by the corals. Putting them all in at once will make it more likely that you'd have negative interactions. So if you do add a lot all at once (especially softies), don't add the shipping water to your system (you probably already knew that, though) and run carbon for a day or two to remove any "chemical warfare" agents.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: