haiyzues

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So after losing my 75 mixed reef to sandy about a year ago, I'm finally ready to get back into it but first I have a ton of questions that I would like some input on.

I'm set on either a 75RR or a 90RR as far as what kind idk...my first choice is a deep blue that comes with the stand because it's the cheapest. What are you LE guys opinions in terms of star fire glass, better quality glass? Any other options ?

My second question is how much easier would my life be if I had the plumbing go from my display on the first floor into the basement through the wall and use my old 75 as a sump. Also what would I be looking for in terms of support/ structure in terms of placement of my display?

Third question, what are the best method(s) in terms of plumbing I've heard of bean animal if anyone can explain that method to me...

Last question for now, lighting...I definitely want to go LEDs AIs vs radions...would two radions be enough, if I went AIs would I need more units?

Thanks a bunch for any help guys

bertyboy69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
So after losing my 75 mixed reef to sandy about a year ago, I'm finally ready to get back into it but first I have a ton of questions that I would like some input on.

I'm set on either a 75RR or a 90RR as far as what kind idk...my first choice is a deep blue that comes with the stand because it's the cheapest. What are you LE guys opinions in terms of star fire glass, better quality glass? Any other options ?

My second question is how much easier would my life be if I had the plumbing go from my display on the first floor into the basement through the wall and use my old 75 as a sump. Also what would I be looking for in terms of support/ structure in terms of placement of my display?

Third question, what are the best method(s) in terms of plumbing I've heard of bean animal if anyone can explain that method to me...

Last question for now, lighting...I definitely want to go LEDs AIs vs radions...would two radions be enough, if I went AIs would I need more units?

Thanks a bunch for any help guys

Ive never had starfire glass but the difference between regukar glass and acrylic is amazing ! Acrylic is so clear so assume starphire is somewhere in the middle

If you use your old 75 as a sump in the basement you life will be a million times easier , i have a 90rr and hate working under my tank and i even buikt my stand extra high to give me more room, the options are endless in a basement with a huge sump like that and youll have tons if room for easy quick hasstle free maintenince

You shoukdnt need extra support for the 90 unless your house is very old , i have mine on the second floor right next to a 50g with no problems

If you buy a rr tank olumbing is straight forward , usually comes witg a durso stand pipe and bulkheads on the bottom of the tank , quiet reliable no need to complicate

And as for leds if you use the ai some people reccomend using 3 however if you like me my tank has a center brace so the third one would be useless in the middle , i woukd say go with 2 20 inch radions if they even come in 20 inch i forget

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Reefs

bertyboy69

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Yah it makes everything easier , and then u can have a salt mixing station and a nice size resivior for auto top off and you can always plumb in an additional tank as a frag tank or a large refugium , the options are endless with a basekent or fish room to work with , working under the stand sucks !

And the radions i looked it up you shoukd be fine with 2 for a standard mixed reef if it was sps dominant and you wanted sps on the sandbed you may want more than 2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: