• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Dustin5000

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 1 percula clownfish, 1 ocellaris clownfish, 2 pajama cardinalfish, 1 virgate rabbitfish, 1 orchid dottyback, 1 yelloweye kole tang, 1yellow clown goby, 1 neon goby, 1 yellow citron goby, and 1 dwarf (falcos) hawkfish.
They are in a 125 g tank with a ~30 g sump, urchin pro in sump skimmer, 5 g refugium that is pruned for nutrient export, and about 80-90ish lbs of live rock.
I try to change about 25 g every 2 weeks and am topping of about 3 g a day w/ RO water.
I would like to hear some thoughts on adding some of the following fish:
Sailfin tang
Sunburst anthias
Purple firefish
3 green chromis
Midas blenny

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dustin,

I think you're pretty close to the max "bioload" IME. Perhaps one or two more fish. I would forego the firefish as it is more delicate, tends to jump, and will likely get harassed by the dottyback. The tang is probably not a great idea either because of your rabbitfish and kole tang. Sunburst are fine anthias; they tend to hide or hang close to rocks, and they're solitary unlike most Anthias. The Blenny is a fine fish. I'm not a fan of chromis, and I find that having more then one usually tends in the biggest one bullying the smaller ones.

Dustin5000

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive already dismissed the tang as it was just an impulse because I like them alot. That dottyback used to live with a firefish in a previous tank and never even paid attention to him. The firefish had a shell that he lived in and whenever the dottyback ventured into the shell hed shoo him away. I thought I heard that purple firefish were very hardy and disease resistant...
Thanks for the input on the anthias and midas blenny, those were my two hopefulls.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Midas Blenny. Very entertaining. Easy care too.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to encourage you to get the midas blenny, they are nice fish.

I like sunburst anthias as well, but the only specimen I have experience with was really quite shy, I would worry that with your tang and foxface swimming around he might not adapt to your tank well. They always struck me as a "first in the tank" kind of fish.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred orchid dottybacks are getting tamer as the generations go by. Perhaps my fear of them is outdated :P

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":2pyox1qr said:
Captive bred orchid dottybacks are getting tamer as the generations go by. Perhaps my fear of them is outdated :P

:D The orchid I had was a total baby. I had a blue assessor and I thought the orchid would die of fright when they met. He ducked into his shell home and hid for days, poking his purple face out and checking around for the assessor. Finally came out but he never would go over to that side of the tank again. :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a fluorescent snapper or a rhinestone bluefin? Electric jellyfish? Jaguar shark?

Just don't get a crayon pony-fish. They don't do well in reef tanks.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: