justin howley

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Fluval Edge, 2 1/2 months old. Cycled, all basic levels are in check. I have green chromis, clown 3 snails and a pep shrimp, hammer, zoo colony and a dendro all thriving (all purchased from Manhattan Aquariums). The dendro which had two heads, just split a third, I feed it regularly and it has grown significantly since I bought it almost a month ago.

Ok so, I bought a beautiful 2 head acan frag. Acclimated it for 45 min drip. Introduced to tank on the sand bed since my lights are strong (T5 24 watt 24 " about 10" above the glass). It looked great and puffed up all happy for two days. I noticed my pep shrimp picking at it. I shot the turkey baster at the shrimp it left and I moved the acan slightly higher on a rock so it wouldn't be agitated. The next day one head had half the skeleton showing. ARGH! That night it got worse, completely receded and turned to mush. I sucked off the remaining with the baster, so the other head would not be bothered. Next day, that head died too.

Now I read that some pep shrimp may be in fact non-reef safe camel shrimp. This guy looks very much like a peppermint. The shrimp stays in it's little rock cave almost all the time waiting for food then it comes out and attacks. I don't see it bothering anything else.

Any suggestions?

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
i heard that peppermints are quite veracious if they aren't fed well.

justin howley

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Yes I read that too. But, he always gets the leftover or missed mysis shrimp. The peppermint shrimp also has shed its skeleton and grown.

Maybe I should remove the shrimp? He's not much of a clean up crew. My turbos and hermits do a way better job. Maybe I should fire the shrimp!?

T

THEDLO

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
yea fire shrimp are good (mine hides in rock all day), skunks are better cause they spend most time out in the open.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
I have had peppermints eat both acans and chalices. I avoid them as much as possible.

I am partial to fire shrimp. They get big, are very pretty (people always get excited when they see them), and they can act as cleaner shrimp (mine have cleaned many fish and my eel) if the fish are willing.

Best of luck

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: