32Bit_Fish

How can I keep acan thriving without spot feed them? I have redish acan and it is dying. I dont spot feed it.

Can I use frozen cyclopeez and leave the filter off for 10 mins? can I feed it that way? Thanks

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
It will not thrive without at least some food, it will simply exist.

Usually they grab food from the water column when you feed your fish and can get by on that.
You may have a secondary issue.
What are your tank parameters & lighting?

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Lenny718 said:
When is it the best time to feed your LPS? I only ask cause I notice the feeder tentacles on my candy canes and acans are more open at night.
I think night is beat time to feed..... I think this bc most corals have feeder tentacles out at night.

Sent from my iPod touch using Reefs

Audi0s

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
As soon as I feed everyones feeders come out. I mainly use pellets for their weight, and you can get very small ones to dust your corals. If i feed frozen I use rods reef and coral food, or feed a mixture of mysis and cyclops. It creates a cloud of tiny food in your tank it takes a little to dissipate so everything has some time to grab something.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I feed the corals in the morning before the lights go on because I'm knocked out before lights out.LOL

I turn off the return pumps, wait for the excess water to drain down to the sump. I then feed the corals a mixture of 1 tea spoon each mixed, and diluted with tank water; oyster feast, rotifer feast, phytoplankton, tobikko eggs (tiny orange sushi eggs). After 45 minutes I plug the return pumps back in.;) I try to do this twice a week.

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Funny, I've never fed my Acan and it's doubled in size. New heads are constantly popping up every few months. Maybe there's just enough food in the tank... I do feed cyclops and rotifers several times a week.

Audi0s

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Yea, Im sure they catch some of those cyclops and rotifers. I feed almost everyday by hand. Im in there trying to bring a scoly back to life (that I got for free!) so I usually make sure everyone else has got a little something as well. Some of my zoos take it as well, and Ive seen great results. Larger polyps usually quicker to take it. A 2 head frag of uniquecorals Emerald sunrise palys popped out 4 babies within 4 weeks.

cowfish

Psycho-ologist
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
greg - I have a 75g SPS reef. I feed about a 1/3 a cube of frozen rotifers once or twice per week. I also feed 1-2 teaspoons of oyster eggs (oyster feast?) 1 per week. Coral feedings are done at night after the lights are off.

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have two fire shrimps and fish in the tank. They just grab food and run. There is no way that the acan can catch any of the food. Also the water current would blow away any food I dump in the tank. I feed my fish shrimp with frozen brine shrimp n mysis.

I have 4x39w T5 fixture. I repositioned the acan several times (on the sand bed, middle and top of the rock). It just melting away.

Audi0s

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Acans like it low, maybe shade it some. Its possible its getting bleached. Use a syringe or manually feed pellets. I lost a colony to brown jelly, is it something serious like that?

Attachments

• Reef 007.jpg
    Reef 007.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Reef 006.jpg
    Reef 006.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 44

32Bit_Fish

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Mine doesn't have the brown jelly issue. But you can see it is wasting away. It used to be fat and colorful, now I can see the skeleton and the meaty part is getting smaller and smaller by day. Eventually it would just vanish.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: