• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
What type? Bad picture, but it's all white with blue tips.

IMG00019-20100123-1223.jpg

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
If Coralidea is missing a name it is because it is exceedingly hard to assign one at the species level from a photo of an aquarium specimen. Even in the best of circumstances these are guesses and most coral taxonomists find it laughable that we even try. In fact, with newer DNA sequencing techniques the idea of coral species is a contested area within the scientific community and many "species" are now thought to be variants not unique species. I wouldn't get all hung up on the name-- the "nice blue acro with the pink tips I got from XXX" is probably just as useful on the hobbyist level as anything else.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
If Coralidea is missing a name it is because it is exceedingly hard to assign one at the species level from a photo of an aquarium specimen. Even in the best of circumstances these are guesses and most coral taxonomists find it laughable that we even try. In fact, with newer DNA sequencing techniques the idea of coral species is a contested area within the scientific community and many "species" are now thought to be variants not unique species. I wouldn't get all hung up on the name-- the "nice blue acro with the pink tips I got from XXX" is probably just as useful on the hobbyist level as anything else.

I Agree it's a huge job. It's just nice to have a name for everything. I guess it's just our society where every thig has a name. The name could be something like Ice acropora. Just something all could identify an item by. Like they/we do with zoanthids coral.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
So make up a clever name for it. You can sell it for more money that way ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

I know you are only kidding, but I just wanted to say, it's not about that for me. I give away way more than I sell. I just like to know what I have and be able to research to learn more about where it came from san such. LFS know nothing except the cost... IMO...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: