A

Anonymous

I have a reef tank that has been up and running for about 9 months now and i just got some (12#'s) beautiful Live Rock from the LFS. if i add it directly to my tank will anything happen? i only have 1 yellow tankg in there and 75# of LS and 145# of LR will there be a killer ammonia spike from this? any info or personal experience would be helpful.

Thanks,
Quest

------------------
<A HREF="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I put 10#s of FRESH (right out of the box) into a 60 gallon tank with 60# of LR that had been running for about 6 months. Filtration is one CPR bak pak. I had an appreciable ammonia spike (i only knew because my corals looked pissed off). So I yanked the rock and put it in another tank by itself and did 2 20% water changes back to back and the tank was fine. No deaths but they sure were pissed off.

So, if you can, cycle the rock yourself or leave it at the fish store or add fresh rock in very small quantities.

A

Anonymous

I'd do it seperately, at least long enough for the ammonia spike to pass. Just as important, ammonia is just one toxic chemical to consider. You really could have a littany of organic toxins released into the water by dead or dying sponges. IMO, it's not worth the potential trouble.

------------------
http://members.xoom.com/FriscoReef/

A

Anonymous

It has been 48 hours since i added the rock to my tank. so far no problems. there was a slight ammonia spike. it went from 0.0 PPM to 0.25 PPM but i did a 5g. water change and it was gone. so far sucess...

------------------
<A HREF="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</A>

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: