ChrisIsBored

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested in any advice that can be given to newly formed clubs.

MAAST - Marine Aquarist's Association of South Texas - was unofficially formed last summer(then known as San Antonio Reefers group) as we sort of piggy backed with the Austin ReefKeepers through a Yahoo! email list(then to our own email list). In October of 2002 the San Antonio group conducted our first get together at a local restaurant where we worked on a new club name and soon decided on MAAST.

With our webpage up (www.maast.org) we've quickly grown to now 110+ online members. Our members range from area such as San Antonio, Austin, Corpus Christi, Houston, and even a few outside the state of Texas.

Lately my thoughts have been centralized around how to start forming our group into an official Society. I've noticed some clubs have filed for non-profit status, while others have filed themselves as incorporations (MARSH did this I believe).

What's the recommended process for not only filing for this status, but also getting a board of directors(voting for Pres, VP, etc.), how much for first year dues, and anything else that may be important. As of yet we're pretty much winging it. :wink:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about being slow finding your post.

MASNA has some excellent information about forming clubs at our website www.masna.org . Specific information about filing for nonprofit status can be found at http://www.masna.org/archives/index.htm . We have several people that can answer specific questions on this topic such as Nancy Swart. Her email is [email protected] . I'd also enjoy working with you and your club. My email is [email protected] . If you drop me an email with your physical address I'd be happy to mail you materials. If you provide a telephone number and a good time to call you, I'd enjoy giving you a call.

You and your members are invited to attend our online meeting tonight. Full details on how to attend can be found at http://www.masna.org/whatsnew.htm .

This is an exciting time for MASNA and we look forward to working with your club.

Sincerely,
Lee Morey
MASNA - Director of Membership and P.R.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: