• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Dargason

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After keeping my small 20 gallon tank for a few months, I've decided I'd really like to get a much larger tank. I'm looking to set up a 150-200 gallon set up and I'd like to get as much info as I can so that I can do it right.

Some basic information first. The tank will be a 150-200 gallon show tank located in the living room, with a sump in the basement. It will be necessary for the tank to require a minimum of maintanence, since I am often required to take business trips that keep me away from home for 3 weeks or so. I'm not a rich man, but I'm willing to spend the bucks necessary to get a system that is reliable and self monitoring/dosing. Also, while I will be starting with "hardy" fish and corals at first, I want to buy a system that is capable of stoneys and more delicate fish and corals.

Now the questions.
1. What books/resources are out there to help me understand the pros and cons of various components?
2. I already have several books on marine fish, but would like some on corals. What do you recommend?
3. What do you recommend I get for the system.
4. What is a reasonable budget for a good system?
5. Do you have any general advice on setting up, stocking, etc?

I know I've asked a lot of questions, but I want to do this right, and I know a lot of you out there already have the sort of system I want. Please share your experience with me!

Thanks,
Mike

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably the best thing you can do at this point is just watch the board for a week or so. All of the questions that you asked a re routinely discussed and you will be able to get a more rounded answer to your questions. When dealing with big tanks there are so many possibilities it is mind boggling and very overwhelming in the beginning. But you can learn a lot from others mistakes. One very good book to start out with is Natural Reef Aquariums by John Tullock. It would be especially good for you because it has a section that displays various set ups and all the equipment you need to do it. Just take your time. Your wallet and your tank will thank you.

Glenn

Worm

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my setup
icon_sad.gif
all prices approximated)

$750 180 gallon reef ready Oceanic
$750 36" DFW stand,canopy(VERY NICE)
$800 250# x-large sized live rock
$300 PFO dual 400W MH w/bulbs
$300 Icecap 660 w/4 4' bulbs(rear)
$300 Icecap 660 w/2 6' bulbs(front)
$300 2 return pumps of your choice
$200 Large sump of your choice/design
$300 Geo's Ca reactor + accessories

that's $4k so far
the only other things in my system are:
deep sand bed
miscellaneous plumbing parts(cheap)
2 sea swirls($300)
fish
corals

i run a skimmerless system w/refugium and only have 1 divider in the sump(75 gallon tank) to place my Rio(I know, I've heard, but mine have been running flawlessly for years) pumps away from the refugium..i priced above for 2 external pumps
i think it's important to have 2 pumps in case one fails

just my recommendations

worm

srbayless

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

Go for a 180g tank, 4'x2'x2'. They are standard and it's easy to find lights to fit that size tank.

I have a 180g and am running the following:

180g seaclear acrylic tank - $300 used
3x400w MH with PFO ballasts - $250
3x400w 10000K MH bulbs - $360
Euroreef CS6-3 protein skimmer - $250 on Ebay
Home made stand and canopy - $150
Rubbermaid tubs as sumps - $40
Mag24 for water return - $120
CPR CS102 overflow box - $105
Numerous Maxijet powerheads - probably ~$150
Tons of live rock - too many sources to price
4" DSB - also too many sources to price

So, all in all I have a ton of money put into the tank. Actually, the tank was the cheapest part of the whole setup.

The lighting was the most expensive, but that is because I went "top drawer" so I could keep almost any type of coral.

The two areas of equipment that I recommend you buy the best are the protein skimmer and lighting. Don't skimp on these peices of equipment because you'll only end up buying better stuff later.

You can ignore the part about the skimmer if you plan on going skimmerless. I am one of those people that prefer having a skimmer, just because the caulerpa in my refugiums always seems to die off and pollute the tank.

Good luck,

Scott.

vp39

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mike,
The 180 is probably a good tank to fit your needs. However, Worm's price will be a little low when you go to get one. I can get for cost and that is $850. The rest of his suggestions are probably pretty good though. I could build you a custom stand of Oak for about $975 real nice too. As far as finding info there are many bulletin boards to help. Yes budget between $4k and $5 that should be able to get you what you want.
Glenn

Dargason

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the information. I agree that going for a standard size and shape should help keep costs down and future options open. So I'm leaning towards the 180 then.

I do have questions about lighting though. Should I bite the bullet and go for MH, or will PC lighting be good enough?

Also, the guy at the LFS recommended an ecosystem filtration system, with the miricle mud and all that. Do you folks have experience with this? He said with it I wouldn't need a skimmer. Do you agree, or is a skimmer a good idea for safety reasons?

Do any of you have comments about low maintenance? If I get a calcium reactor, will that eliminate the need for b-ionic or kalkwasser dosing? How about auto top-up systems? I've seen a couple of DIY top up systems that look like they'd work ok.

Thanks again for the advice!
Mike

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: