ChrisB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I am 6 weeks into cycle And have alot of aglae . got clean up crew and they ate some of it but not that good of a job since half the cleanup crew died off, the shipment arrived a day late. I also added cheato and it seems it as if it is not doing well either. A lfs told me to do a water change , put in phos guard and vacum off aglae. I tested phos with a salifert kit and it read 0 . The lfs told me that I should use a meter to get an acurate reading.
My schooling would just tell me to leave it alone. I did put the phos guard in but did not do a water change. The aglae came with the live rock I think . I thought it would die off since it was a new tank and I was running no lights. Here is a pic.
http://i1001.photobucket.com/albums/af135/liquid35/algae.jpg:confused:

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
Did you flush the new cartridges first?
BTW... Yes algae will bloom, especially since you did not wait for your cycle to complete and killed off half of your livestock, allowing for the death to bring on more algae.
But anyhoo... way to go!
You're almost there... now don't add anything else into the tank until the cycle fully completes.

wschang812

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
had hair algae on that on one rock during my cycle. got a CUC and it was gone in 2 days. i noticed that the hermits and black turbos were eating at it.

ChrisB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
had hair algae on that on one rock during my cycle. got a CUC and it was gone in 2 days. i noticed that the hermits and black turbos were eating at it.
I have a few turbo snails and some others that came with clean up crew , but it most of them just sit up in the corners of the tank . What is a CUC? I am prob just gonna turn lights off for the rest of cycle. I might have to sacrifice my chaeto . If i turn mdt lights off then ill have turn off the fuge lights to cause then ill get the hair algae all over my fuge. I hope it just goes away with the cycle. tested my water ph was 8.0 ,0 amm , 0 trites and 0.2 trate. could not get a reading of phos from the salifert kit. I am going to get the Hannah checkers next pay check lol. I am hoping it just goes away on its own when tank starts to establish lol. How much flow should be going threw the fuge?
:confused::confused::confused:

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
CUC=clean up crew. If your readings are coming out zero on trites and ammonia, your done with the first stage of cycling. Your gonna go thru some nasties like diatoms and hair Algae and cyno blooms. You should start doing regular water changes at this point. Don't buy CUCs from online vendors, they usually give you why to much **** to add to a new tank all at once. Some turbos and nassarius snails is all you need for now. Stay away from hermit crabs, they are opportunistic eaters and can be a problem down the road. Hair algae in your fuge is a good thing! Hth

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: