• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Jeff Hood

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does everybody use powerheads for extra circulation? Is there any way to get around it.
I was hoping for a way to plumb an extra external pump to the main tank for the extra flow but don't want the extra flow to go through the sump because of the added turbulance. That would start to creat a microbubble problem.

Any advice?
icon_confused.gif

endymion

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an external pump and create closed loop (technically this is not a closed loop since the tank is open to the air) with some sea swirls or spray bars. Basically drill some more holes in your tank, add bulk heads, run pipe to the intake of the pump, run pipe from outlet to the sea swirls or spray bars. No air since the bulkheads returns will be under the water line. Well I guess you could get some bubbles sucked into the bulklheads from the the tank
icon_razz.gif

This does a few nice things. Keeps what is in the tank low profile and you can get a lot more circulation then most powerheads.

A see people using the ampmaster and sea swirls in this setup.

[ July 14, 2001: Message edited by: endymion ]

[ July 14, 2001: Message edited by: endymion ]

myreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two closed loops also. It is much better and more unobtrusive than powerheads. I have a MAG 12 and a MAG 18 on a closed loop that alternate on a wave maker every 6 hours to simulate the right and left movement of the tide. You can get much better circulation with the closed loop. HTH

myreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by endymion:
<STRONG>MYREEF - did you get rid of your maxijets and replace it with these closed loops?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I did. I don't have any powerheads in my tank at all. I know I need to update my website, but haven't yet. I have had the closed loops on for about 5 months and love it. I am setting up a prop tank too and will have at least one closed loop on it as well.

endymion

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at using a couple ampmaster 3000s for 180 in the planning stage. One for return and the other for closed loop on a couple of sea swirls. What do you use on the end of the closed loop, A spray bar or something else?

I thinking maybe I should use the sea swirls for the return and make tide based system with the remaining pump with a motorized ball valve.

Rick O

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Andy,

That sounds interesting. I'm looking for a way to eliminate powerheads. Could you post some pics?

Rick

myreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't have a lot of room in my stand, so since I have an acrylic tank I put the closed loops on top. I just have a downspout with a 90 degree elbow in the water. I used schedule 80 just because I did not want white in the tank. I may put a sea swirl in the prop tank. Here are a few pics.

In the first picture, I am using a sweeping curve instead of 2 45's. Also, the picture shows two down spouts...I changed it and now only using one.

mag18_top.jpg

The second picture shows the left side of my tank (MAG 12) and the turbulence it causes on top.

water_movement.jpg

The last picture shows how I primed the setup and what the plumbing looks like out of the water.
priming.jpg

Rick if you ever want to see it or when I come over for the meeting in August, we can look at it and set one up!

Rick O

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty cool setup. How do you think that would compare to having a couple Gemini pumps (900+ gph) at the front corners?

Rick

myreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at the Gemini's for my prop tank. I also thought about replacing my MAG 18 with 2 of them and put the MAG on my new skimmer.
icon_biggrin.gif
I sent www.thatpetplace.com an email about the Gemini's and they have several on backorder right now and have no idea when they will get them. Everytime I have inquired about them, they were on backorder. That's basically why I did this. I would really prefer the Gemini's on the prop tank.....so I might order them and wait it out.

Jeff Hood

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Ideas everybody. How do most of you do it on a glass tank already in service? I don't want a single hole to suck water into because of the danger to the inhabitants. Is the spraybar Idea run in reverse to provide the intake to the pump then out to the Sea swirl? Seems like that would work by spreading the intake out over a larger surface. Should work if you have enough holes equal to the total area of the pump intake to prevent a restriction. I would just need to place the bar down deeper in the tank to avoid sucking air.
Any other ideas for the intake in the tank? How should I plumb this thing?

Jeff
icon_smile.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: