Johnny Spesis

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
After having a Rose tip Anenome for 3 months, it split into two, is this normal. Do anenomes' split from time to time, or is it just well fed? My maroon clown is swimming with both anenomes.
If I move one Anenome to the other side of my tank(180), can I buy another different clown or pair to host, or sell the Anenome?

Rating - 100%
80   0   0
That's awesome. I have a couple and 3 are clones from the original. They will split if they are stressed, water quality is off, temp ... They will also split if they are happy. Charlie has a tank filled with anemones and he says his split a couple times a year. You know his are definitely happy. I wouldn't get another pair of clowns as they may end up fighting. Some people have been able to house multiple clowns together. Keep it or sell it. If you have the real estate keep it. I like them. My big one did sting some corals and had to move the corals.

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
My RBTAs split frequently if water quality is off (esp Alk, nitrates). I think a good feeding almost initiates/finishes off the split. I noticed after a shrimp feeding, numerous times I'll wake up the next morning with a second clone. I've reduced my feedings for them to 1x a week, sometimes 10days. More often just seemed to create a clone party. They seem very happy afterwards though. I'll usually sell the clone because I house SPS and a large, healthy RBTA stings everything, especially when he starts moving. And I'm sure you know they are impossible to peel off a rock without wasting an entire 2 hours of time.
My clowns also host both, but I only have a 70 gal so I wouldn't get a second pair of clowns, for sure. 180 gal, I think might be plenty of room to host a second pair, but I'd ask a true expert first for sure.
Good Luck. The clone market is strong out there, I usually sell mine within a day or two.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
It sounds like your tank is big enough for 2 pairs of clowns, but there are factors that help/hurt, like aquascape (can they see eachother easily) and others. Some clown species are more territorial, too.
You can keep or sell the extra bta, just remember, the next time it/they split you may have 4 BTAs. When I had a bta split, the clone and mother would always split within a few days of each other because they were given the same care (location/light/food/etc). Good luck!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: