biolund

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone

I guess I will join and (re)introduce myself and post a few pictures. My name is Soren and I am the marine biology graduate student living in Maine (although I am Danish). Like IslandCrow I have not had any formal training in photography. I am definitely a beginner and know just enough to be dangerous. I look forward to seeing my photos getting better as this course progress. As for my camera I own a Nikon D200 with a 18-200 mm Nikkor lens. I LOVE this lens, but I am not sure it is the right choice for aquarium photography. I would like to get a macro lens and I would love to hear Chris’ opinion about this. With this lens I find that have to be far away from the object and zoom in order to get a clear image. After last Sundays chat session I spend some time looking into adjusting the white balance and playing around with different aperture settings. Anyway, enough talk. Here are a few very beginner shots taken in my 75-gallon reef.

Attachments

• dory.jpg
    dory.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 59
  • fire goby.jpg
    fire goby.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 55
  • orange zooanthids.jpg
    orange zooanthids.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 56

BCinYa

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Soren (biolund);

Wow, you are actually getting your fish to pose for you... That's awesome!

I used to have the 18-200mm lens and found it was great for general photography. It covers a whole lot of territory for one lens. But, ya, I was never impressed by it's capabilities at close range.

Macro lenses are great for aquarium photography! For shooting fish and coral and other 'inhabitant' photos I use macro lenses almost exclusively. Even for some situations that wouldn't be considered 'macro'. They are just good lenses all around.

I have both the Nikon 60mm and 105mm but use the 60mm WAY more. If you were only to buy one of them I'd recommend the 60mm (equivalent to 90mm whit the crop factor). It is a very usable focal length.

Although I haven't used them personally, I've heard some good things about Tamron's macro lens(es). They make a 90 and a 180mm. The 180 wouldn't be as useful as the 90. Tameron make lenses that mate to most major camera manufacturers cameras.

We have a whole section on color balance in week 3 (I think), so you'll be getting all the info you need on getting good color. There is a trick or two to it for sure.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see these photo's.

That's weird. I can see the photo's fine in the other threads.

Were these pictures linked or attached?

Louey

biolund

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photos are attached - not linked. Should I link them instead? Chris thanks for all the good information about lenses I researched the 60 mm Nikkor lens today. It looks like there is a new version of the 60 mm lens (Nikkor-Micro f/2.8G ED AF-S). That lens have got raving reviews and it seem like people like it slightly better than the previous Nikkor-Micro f/2.8 AF 60 mm (although the reviews for both lenses blew me away). What’s your opinion on this? Also, in your opinion is the Nikkor 60mm lens ideal for shooting fish? If not what lens would you recommend for fish?

BCinYa

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know enough about the "new version" of the 60mm macro/micro to say anything half-way intelegent.

In answer to your second question... "in your opinion is the Nikkor 60mm lens ideal for shooting fish?"
Yup! It is the lens I use probably about 75% of the time for fish photos.

biolund

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Chris

Check out these links for reviews of the new 60 mm Nikkor lens:

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-60mm-2-8G-M ... 078&sr=1-1

http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html
(click lenses icon and the special purpose lenses icon)

By the way do you know of Bjørn Rørslett (must be a Norwegian guy)? A few reviewers called him the world authority when it comes to testing and reviewing Nikon lenses. I haven’t heard about him before today, but was just curious.

Thanks for all your help on lenses. I think I am close to my final choice now. By the way that 105 mm Nikkor lens you mentioned comes with a hefty price tag!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: